Error on startup. File is mising or corrupt.

Hey, my computer had crashed on me a bit ago, bsod, didn't read the message
and just restarted. Couple things I noticed on the startup:

1) When it got to the RAID loading screen (Via Raid), it showed my hard
drives, but it said "None Raid" and "None define"......
2) Later, it stopped starting up and showed this messge:
WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT =
windows\system32\config\system. You can solve this problem by trying to
repair windows. something something insert windows CD and press R for
recovery console. (not 100% retyped correctly)

My related hardware is:
Motherboard = MSI k8N Neo
Hard Drives = Two Maxtor 250 GBs, 8 MB cache

They were installed in a RAID 0 configuration using the Via Raid controller.
When I put in my XP CD, the 'recovery' console brought me back to DOS. So I
went to my C: and checked my directories. Nothing was there. It was totally
empty. BUT my "free space" was 60 GB, which it was before my computer
crashed. So hopefully all my data is safe :D. I've read some solutions where
you go into windows directory and delete some files, but I tried going into
it and my computer says no such directory exists. Help?

phillr wrote:
> Hey, my computer had crashed on me a bit ago, bsod, didn't read the message
> and just restarted. Couple things I noticed on the startup:
>
> 1) When it got to the RAID loading screen (Via Raid), it showed my hard
> drives, but it said "None Raid" and "None define"......
> 2) Later, it stopped starting up and showed this messge:
> WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT =
> windows\system32\config\system. You can solve this problem by trying to
> repair windows. something something insert windows CD and press R for
> recovery console. (not 100% retyped correctly)
>
> My related hardware is:
> Motherboard = MSI k8N Neo
> Hard Drives = Two Maxtor 250 GBs, 8 MB cache
>
> They were installed in a RAID 0 configuration using the Via Raid controller.
> When I put in my XP CD, the 'recovery' console brought me back to DOS. So I
> went to my C: and checked my directories. Nothing was there. It was totally
> empty. BUT my "free space" was 60 GB, which it was before my computer
> crashed. So hopefully all my data is safe :D. I've read some solutions where
> you go into windows directory and delete some files, but I tried going into
> it and my computer says no such directory exists. Help?

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I can't access any files on my c:. It shows it as being completely empty,
even though the free space shows there's still data present.