Laptop Keyboard problem

a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 12:42:02 PM

My laptop keyboard has a strange problem. If the computer sits idle for a
couple of hours, the keyboard stops working normally. I can't type any text;
however, the keys will respond as shortcut keys. For example, if I open Word
and type F, the file menu will appear. My built in touch pad also will not
function normally. If I double click on an icon, it brings up the properties
screen for that item. When I restart my computer, I am not able to type into
the logon screen at all with my keyboard. I have attached a USB keyboard to
my laptop, but I still can't type right away. The only thing that works is
for my to restart my computer two or three times, they press CLT-ALT-DEL on
my USB keyboard. Most of the time after a couple of tries, I can type into
this secondary logon screen with the USB keyboard. Once Windows is open, my
regular laptop keyboard works fine again. This is until I leave it idle for
a while. Please help me figure out what is wrong.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 1:55:01 PM

While not positive on this it really sounds like the driver may be out of
date. Have you updated your comp via windows update and checked the
manufacturer of your laptop for any driver updates? You may also want to
check the laptop mfg's faqs page to see if anyone else is having the same
issue.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Kyle Holgate

"Gox2001" wrote:

> My laptop keyboard has a strange problem. If the computer sits idle for a
> couple of hours, the keyboard stops working normally. I can't type any text;
> however, the keys will respond as shortcut keys. For example, if I open Word
> and type F, the file menu will appear. My built in touch pad also will not
> function normally. If I double click on an icon, it brings up the properties
> screen for that item. When I restart my computer, I am not able to type into
> the logon screen at all with my keyboard. I have attached a USB keyboard to
> my laptop, but I still can't type right away. The only thing that works is
> for my to restart my computer two or three times, they press CLT-ALT-DEL on
> my USB keyboard. Most of the time after a couple of tries, I can type into
> this secondary logon screen with the USB keyboard. Once Windows is open, my
> regular laptop keyboard works fine again. This is until I leave it idle for
> a while. Please help me figure out what is wrong.
July 23, 2005 4:01:02 PM

Your USB ports are probably set to sleep after a certain period.
Check the Control Panel/System/Device Manager/USB ports properties

--
Some days you''re the windshield.
Some days you''re the bug.

!