Overclocking

G

I would like to ask if overclocking my CPU could damage my video card. I have a Piii 800 512 megs of RAM. Giga-byte 6vm7-4E motherboard with Apollo Pro 133 chipset. I have a Hercules 3d Prophet II Ultra video card. Is it possible to fry the GPU since extra voltage is sent to the AGP slot and the frequency of BUS operation to the AGP slot changes from 66MHz to 83MHz when adjusting the BUS from 100MHz to 124MHz?

G

It's not likely you'll do any harm. I have overclocked my BX board up to 150fsb without doing any harm. Of course, AGP is supposed to run at 66mhz but the old BX motherboards only have a 2/3 divider, which makes the AGP bus higher than 66mhz with anything higher than 100mhz fsb setting for the processor. The biggest problem is getting the video card to run stable above an 100fsb/66mhz AGP speed. Most will work fine with the processor overclocked to 125 mhz fsb settings, but anything higher usually results in video card instability. My Voodoo 3500 is stable at 125 but doesn't do as well at 133 and is really unstable at 150 fsb settings. Good luck!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Unless you're changing you're vio, you're not sending any more voltage to your gpu. Overlclocking your FSB can make your hard drive/nic/sound card hate you, but you're not going to kill them.

You'll see a slight temp increase, because your transistors are being used faster and don't have time to get rid of the heat, but it's about a 1-1.5C difference (at least that's why my t-bird shows). The vio (voltage input-output) is what runs your memory, pci, agp, isa.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most newer chipsets will run the agp bus SLOWER at 133FSB than at even 110FSB, becuase a different divider is used (1/2 instead of 2/3). Everything between 101 and 132 overclocks the AGP bus, then it goes back to 66 when you reach 133. He is not using the BX chipset as you are, so he has the extra divider. But his video card should handle any speed he can get out of that processor, because even at 89MHz (133 on the BX), my generic GF2 works fine.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unfortunately, your should have got the 700 instead of the 800 as it would have allowed you to return to stock AGP speeds when set to 933. This is becuase APG goes back to 66MHz when you reach 133. Your 800 will prbably never reach 133FSB with any stability.
As for 124MHz, your AGP card should take the abuse just fine. My generic card handles it at even higher speeds.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine