XP won't start

July 23, 2005 2:53:30 PM

This is a repost from 2 days ago. I didn't get a reponse so I am trying
again. As an update I have read all I can in this newgroup that may be
pertinent with Microsoft KB articles. I would still like advice from one of
the MVP out there. Pretty please.

Many thanks
Robert

I have an older Gateway 600MHz P4 (original OS=98SE). I upgraded the system
to XP Pro (after months of weekends @ uninstalling incompatible 98
software/drivers, etc etc etc). Sound card still didn't work. I ordered a
new updated CD from Creative to me up and running in that department. I
went to install it all last night and XP wouldn't even start, not even in
safe mode. It worked fine last week. I get didfferent errors. The first
error was "isapnp.sys is missing or corrupted". It said run setup repair to
attempt repair/replacement of file. Setup won't run. It says "setupdd.sys
could not be loaded. Error code 4". I tried starting in safe mode and it
locks up loading at Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb. I have tried "all" the F8
startups to no avail. I have tried to boot with the XP install CD.
Somewhere in all this I also got "pci.sys is missing or corrupted". I also
got this pci.sys message weeks ago soon after the initial upgrade; however I
was able to get into XP and delete the corrupted pci.sys to get another
installed and then things ran fine. The Quantum Fireball HD tests fine.
Can I, should I, make a boot floppy to copy these files over? If so, just
boot to cmd.com?? ANY IDEAS OUT THERE WOULD BE A GODSEND. MTIA.

Robert

More about : start

July 23, 2005 3:00:08 PM

It is probably a hardware failure. Unplug everything but the monitor,
keyboard, and mouse then restart the computer.
"Robert" <remdds@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:p ItEe.16547$Wt3.670@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> This is a repost from 2 days ago. I didn't get a reponse so I am trying
> again. As an update I have read all I can in this newgroup that may be
> pertinent with Microsoft KB articles. I would still like advice from one
> of the MVP out there. Pretty please.
>
> Many thanks
> Robert
>

> I have an older Gateway 600MHz P4 (original OS=98SE). I upgraded the
> system
> to XP Pro (after months of weekends @ uninstalling incompatible 98
> software/drivers, etc etc etc). Sound card still didn't work. I ordered
> new updated CD from Creative to me up and running in that department. I
> went to install it all last night and XP wouldn't even start, not even in
> safe mode. It worked fine last week. I get didfferent errors. The first
> error was "isapnp.sys is missing or corrupted". It said run setup repair
> attempt repair/replacement of file. Setup won't run. It says
> "setupdd.sys
> could not be loaded. Error code 4". I tried starting in safe mode and it
> locks up loading at Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb. I have tried "all" the
> F8
> startups to no avail. I have tried to boot with the XP install CD.
> Somewhere in all this I also got "pci.sys is missing or corrupted". I
> also
> got this pci.sys message weeks ago soon after the initial upgrade; however
> was able to get into XP and delete the corrupted pci.sys to get another
> installed and then things ran fine. The Quantum Fireball HD tests fine.
> Can I, should I, make a boot floppy to copy these files over? If so, just
> boot to cmd.com?? ANY IDEAS OUT THERE WOULD BE A GODSEND. MTIA.
>
> Robert

July 23, 2005 6:47:46 PM

I mentioned the sound card thing only in passsing... I apparently confused
everyone. The main problem is the *.sys files "missing or corrupted"
messages (isapnp.sys and pci.sys). When I boot from the setup CD, it runs
through a few steps (like asking if you want to install SCSI support, if you
want to run ASR), but stops eventually with the error "setupdd.sys could not
be loaded. Error code 4". I tried starting in safe mode and it locks up at
it sounds more like I need a boot CD to repair the missing/corrupted files
and or a registry repair. Am I reading this right? How do I make a repair
boot CD? All the hardware has been working. If it was the hardware, the
only possibility could be the sound card and I can't boot with it out of the
system either. SOOOO I don't think it is the hardware. What should I try
next? Please Help. OR should I just theow it out the window??!!??

Robert

I posted this elsewhere here in the NG by mistake... sorry... it was
supposed to go in this thread.

"Robert" <remdds@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:p ItEe.16547$Wt3.670@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> This is a repost from 2 days ago. I didn't get a reponse so I am trying
> again. As an update I have read all I can in this newgroup that may be
> pertinent with Microsoft KB articles. I would still like advice from one
> of the MVP out there. Pretty please.
>
> Many thanks
> Robert
>

> I have an older Gateway 600MHz P4 (original OS=98SE). I upgraded the
> system
> to XP Pro (after months of weekends @ uninstalling incompatible 98
> software/drivers, etc etc etc). Sound card still didn't work. I ordered
> new updated CD from Creative to me up and running in that department. I
> went to install it all last night and XP wouldn't even start, not even in
> safe mode. It worked fine last week. I get didfferent errors. The first
> error was "isapnp.sys is missing or corrupted". It said run setup repair
> attempt repair/replacement of file. Setup won't run. It says
> "setupdd.sys
> could not be loaded. Error code 4". I tried starting in safe mode and it
> locks up loading at Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb. I have tried "all" the
> F8
> startups to no avail. I have tried to boot with the XP install CD.
> Somewhere in all this I also got "pci.sys is missing or corrupted". I
> also
> got this pci.sys message weeks ago soon after the initial upgrade; however
> was able to get into XP and delete the corrupted pci.sys to get another
> installed and then things ran fine. The Quantum Fireball HD tests fine.
> Can I, should I, make a boot floppy to copy these files over? If so, just
> boot to cmd.com?? ANY IDEAS OUT THERE WOULD BE A GODSEND. MTIA.
>
> Robert

Related resources
July 23, 2005 6:50:17 PM

I made a booboo. Sorry.
This was posted elsewhere in the NG. It was supposed to be posted here as a
part of this thread.

"BrianC" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> It is probably a hardware failure. Unplug everything but the monitor,
> keyboard, and mouse then restart the computer.
> "Robert" <remdds@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:p ItEe.16547$Wt3.670@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>> This is a repost from 2 days ago. I didn't get a reponse so I am trying
>> again. As an update I have read all I can in this newgroup that may be
>> pertinent with Microsoft KB articles. I would still like advice from one
>> of the MVP out there. Pretty please.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Robert
>>

>> I have an older Gateway 600MHz P4 (original OS=98SE). I upgraded the
>> system
>> to XP Pro (after months of weekends @ uninstalling incompatible 98
>> software/drivers, etc etc etc). Sound card still didn't work. I ordered
>> new updated CD from Creative to me up and running in that department. I
>> went to install it all last night and XP wouldn't even start, not even in
>> safe mode. It worked fine last week. I get didfferent errors. The
>> first
>> error was "isapnp.sys is missing or corrupted". It said run setup repair
>> attempt repair/replacement of file. Setup won't run. It says
>> "setupdd.sys
>> could not be loaded. Error code 4". I tried starting in safe mode and
>> it
>> locks up loading at Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb. I have tried "all" the
>> F8
>> startups to no avail. I have tried to boot with the XP install CD.
>> Somewhere in all this I also got "pci.sys is missing or corrupted". I
>> also
>> got this pci.sys message weeks ago soon after the initial upgrade;
>> however I
>> was able to get into XP and delete the corrupted pci.sys to get another
>> installed and then things ran fine. The Quantum Fireball HD tests fine.
>> Can I, should I, make a boot floppy to copy these files over? If so,
>> just
>> boot to cmd.com?? ANY IDEAS OUT THERE WOULD BE A GODSEND. MTIA.
>>
>> Robert

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:36:37 PM

I'm going to agree with the other poster who said it sounds like a hardware
issue. Multiple unrelated errors tend to occur when you've got a piece of
hardware that's failing. The errors pop up related to whatever was going on
when the hardware glitched. This is often the case with bad ram, but it
could be something -- or almost anything -- else.

And as far as it goes, I'm less and less impressed with most of the testing
tools available. So even if something has tested good, it doesn't mean it's
guaranteed.

!