Re-loading new Win XP Pro Over Old what to do?

David

My friend recieved a used computer from an associate. It came with Windows
XP Pro loaded on it. He wants to wipe the drive and re-load the OS. He does
not have the original disk that the person he got the system from had but he
has purchased a new disk with Win XP Pro. Since Win XP does not have the old
FDISK to wipe and re-formatt the drive, how does he do this? If he puts in
the new disk will it allow him to re-formatt and write the new XP over the
old? He tried it with a copy of XP Home but it would not let him go down
from Pro to Home. HELP!

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David" wrote:

| My friend recieved a used computer from an associate. It came with Windows
| XP Pro loaded on it. He wants to wipe the drive and re-load the OS. He does
| not have the original disk that the person he got the system from had but he
| has purchased a new disk with Win XP Pro. Since Win XP does not have the old
| FDISK to wipe and re-formatt the drive, how does he do this? If he puts in
| the new disk will it allow him to re-formatt and write the new XP over the
| old? He tried it with a copy of XP Home but it would not let him go down
| from Pro to Home. HELP!

David

Fantastic! Thanks! I had another post in here becuase he first tried it with
a cd that he has of Windows XP Home but it told him that he could not down
grade from Pro to Home. Will what you described below work with that
situation as well?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
> to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
> Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
>
> NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
> devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
>
> NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
> EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
> hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
> After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
>
> 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
>
> ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
> 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
> 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
> 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
> Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
> partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
>
> 5. Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> 6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
> ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
>
> 7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
> and download the available "Critical Updates".
>
> 8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
> of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
> available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
> and audio drivers.
>
> 9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:
>
> How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "David" wrote:
>
> | My friend recieved a used computer from an associate. It came with Windows
> | XP Pro loaded on it. He wants to wipe the drive and re-load the OS. He does
> | not have the original disk that the person he got the system from had but he
> | has purchased a new disk with Win XP Pro. Since Win XP does not have the old
> | FDISK to wipe and re-formatt the drive, how does he do this? If he puts in
> | the new disk will it allow him to re-formatt and write the new XP over the
> | old? He tried it with a copy of XP Home but it would not let him go down
> | from Pro to Home. HELP!

Follow the procedure I outlined and you'll need to
delete the partition Windows XP Pro is installed on,
then you'll create a new partition, format the new
partition, then install Windows XP Home Edition.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David" wrote:

| Fantastic! Thanks! I had another post in here becuase he first tried it with
| a cd that he has of Windows XP Home but it told him that he could not down
| grade from Pro to Home. Will what you described below work with that
| situation as well?

TRENDING THREADS