Moving Dell OS

I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM) which is
showing its age so I'm going to buy something new (from Dell, but I
haven't decided what yet).

When the new system arrives, the first thing I'll do is to reformat the
hard disk and install a version of Linux on the system. This will leave me
with a license for the OEM version of Windows XP that I plan to install on
the old 8100 (the 8100 is currently running Linux, but I think it had
Win98 when it first arrived).

Can someone please confirm that this is a) possible and b) legal.

Also, I'd be interested in your opinions on how Win XP will run on a
machine with the spec of the 8100.

Cheers,

Dave...

"Dave Cross" <dave@dave.org.uk> wrote in message
>I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM) which is
> showing its age so I'm going to buy something new (from Dell, but I
> haven't decided what yet).
>
> When the new system arrives, the first thing I'll do is to reformat the
> hard disk and install a version of Linux on the system. This will leave me
> with a license for the OEM version of Windows XP that I plan to install on
> the old 8100 (the 8100 is currently running Linux, but I think it had
> Win98 when it first arrived).
>
> Can someone please confirm that this is a) possible and b) legal.
>
> Also, I'd be interested in your opinions on how Win XP will run on a
> machine with the spec of the 8100.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...

Technically it is not legal, as the license to XP is tied to the machine
with which it was shipped. However, I suspect that MS would be pretty
forgiving on that one, since you would only be using it on one machine it
your house. That is not a legal opinion, as it IS contrary to the license
agreement.

That said, it will work. We still have one Dimension 8100 and it runs XP
just fine. Slow compared to our 8400, but acceptably. However, 256MB is at
the light end and more memory would help. Unfortunately, more memory for an
8100, RDRAM, would be quite pricey.

The 8100 we have is 256MB and my daughter doesn't complain. It's much better
than the P3-450 is replaced.

It should install fine and should not require activation since they are both
Dell BIOS.

Tom

"Dave Cross" <dave@dave.org.uk> wrote in message
>I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM) which is
> showing its age so I'm going to buy something new (from Dell, but I
> haven't decided what yet).
>
> When the new system arrives, the first thing I'll do is to reformat the
> hard disk and install a version of Linux on the system. This will leave me
> with a license for the OEM version of Windows XP that I plan to install on
> the old 8100 (the 8100 is currently running Linux, but I think it had
> Win98 when it first arrived).
>
> Can someone please confirm that this is a) possible and b) legal.
>
> Also, I'd be interested in your opinions on how Win XP will run on a
> machine with the spec of the 8100.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...

(a) yes
(b) technically no but if Dell don't ship the XP OS CD then the question is
redundant anyway
(c) running XP on anything less than 512mb is a mistake

"Tim Richards" <timrichards@tinyworld.com> wrote in message

> "Dave Cross" <dave@dave.org.uk> wrote in message
>>I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM) which is
>> showing its age so I'm going to buy something new (from Dell, but I
>> haven't decided what yet).
>>
>> When the new system arrives, the first thing I'll do is to reformat the
>> hard disk and install a version of Linux on the system. This will leave
>> me
>> with a license for the OEM version of Windows XP that I plan to install
>> on
>> the old 8100 (the 8100 is currently running Linux, but I think it had
>> Win98 when it first arrived).
>>
>> Can someone please confirm that this is a) possible and b) legal.
>>
>> Also, I'd be interested in your opinions on how Win XP will run on a
>> machine with the spec of the 8100.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dave...
>>

> (a) yes
> (b) technically no but if Dell don't ship the XP OS CD then the question
> is redundant anyway
> (c) running XP on anything less than 512mb is a mistake

Dell does ship the XP CD. You just have to burn it yourself.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:59:43 GMT, Tim Richards <timrichards@tinyworld.com>
wrote:

> (c) running XP on anything less than 512mb is a mistake

I run XP on my cel 2.2 ghz wiht 384 mb ram with no problems. And
I consider myself to be a "power user", with 6-8 programs running
at the same time.

--
Buck

By itself, the number of programs you have running at the same time means
nothing in terms of how well your computer performs. What matters is the
demands that a program places on your system.

Ted Zieglar

Buck Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:59:43 GMT, Tim Richards
> <timrichards@tinyworld.com> wrote:
>

>> (c) running XP on anything less than 512mb is a mistake
>>

> I run XP on my cel 2.2 ghz wiht 384 mb ram with no problems. And
> I consider myself to be a "power user", with 6-8 programs running
> at the same time.

Out of curiousity, how often do you page out? I noticed a dramatic drop
in page outs going from 256 to 512 (and I generally turn off swap on
machines with a gig or more). Under XP, the only time I really hit the
virtual memory was when I was switching back to Mozilla after I had been
running another program for extended periods of time (part of this
problem was a known bug in early Mozilla builds). I found 256MB enough
to usually stay of of swap running Linux on the same machine with many
of the same programs running (Mozilla, OpenOffice, Gaim, GIMP, etc.),
but to be fair I was using a very lightweight (and excellent) windows
manager called Fluxbox (Gnome or KDE would probably push me into the
page file).