Does This Device Exist?

I have a wired network in five rooms downstairs. This network has an access
point for a laptop. Everything works fine. Now I want to (1) to be able to
use the laptop upstairs (which currently doesn't work upstairs because it is
too far from the access point) and (2) connect a desktop computer (that is
upstairs) to the network.

Of course, I could extend the physical wiring upstairs to the desktop and
install another access point. But that would require me drilling a hole
through a particular wall that I'd rather not.

Is there a way to locate an access point on one side of the downstairs wall,
put some sort of "receiver" on the other side of the wall, then plug a wire
into the "receiver" and continue with a wired network on this "other side of
the wall" and upstairs in a wired fashion to the desktop upstairs? For the
laptop upstairs, I could install an access point at the end of this
"extension" of the wired network

"Alan Bell" <alanbno2spam@blk.com> wrote in message
> I have a wired network in five rooms downstairs. This network has an
access
> point for a laptop. Everything works fine. Now I want to (1) to be able to
> use the laptop upstairs (which currently doesn't work upstairs because it
is
> too far from the access point) and (2) connect a desktop computer (that is
> upstairs) to the network.
>
> Of course, I could extend the physical wiring upstairs to the desktop and
> install another access point. But that would require me drilling a hole
> through a particular wall that I'd rather not.
>
> Is there a way to locate an access point on one side of the downstairs
wall,
> put some sort of "receiver" on the other side of the wall, then plug a
wire
> into the "receiver" and continue with a wired network on this "other side
of
> the wall" and upstairs in a wired fashion to the desktop upstairs? For the
> laptop upstairs, I could install an access point at the end of this
> "extension" of the wired network

Yes and Gateway has just announced a system that uses your existing 110
wireing.

antonio

Use Homplug and it will solve all your problems. It uses the 230V wiring
and can be extended with wirelessplugs. Several brands to chose from,
all interchangeble.

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

Sure can. Had the same sort of request. In a large conference room,
they wanted network connections for the lap-tops (hard wired not
wireless) on the desk. They didn't want wires from the network jacks
on the walls to run on the floor. Used (2) D-Link dwl-2000ap's and set
them to bridging mode. Connected (1) to the locak network jack and the
other (placed on the desk) to a 8 port hub. This allows pc's on the
desk to connect to the local network. DHCP and web access worked
great...

"Alan Bell" <alanbno2spam@blk.com> wrote:

>I have a wired network in five rooms downstairs. This network has an access
>point for a laptop. Everything works fine. Now I want to (1) to be able to
>use the laptop upstairs (which currently doesn't work upstairs because it is
>too far from the access point) and (2) connect a desktop computer (that is
>upstairs) to the network.
>
>Of course, I could extend the physical wiring upstairs to the desktop and
>install another access point. But that would require me drilling a hole
>through a particular wall that I'd rather not.
>
>Is there a way to locate an access point on one side of the downstairs wall,
>put some sort of "receiver" on the other side of the wall, then plug a wire
>into the "receiver" and continue with a wired network on this "other side of
>the wall" and upstairs in a wired fashion to the desktop upstairs? For the
>laptop upstairs, I could install an access point at the end of this
>"extension" of the wired network

I would recomend geting a stronger AP.. Get a Senao or Engenius Long Range
AccessPoint they have 200mw cards in them vs the average 15 to 20 mw cards..
You might also want to get a long range senao wireless card for your laptop
too, I have a 200 mw card in my laptop and a senao 200mw ap and i can use my
laptop down the street from my house approx 150m away, and anywhere upstairs
or downstairs in my house.

- Mike

"Alan Bell" <alanbno2spam@blk.com> wrote in message
> I have a wired network in five rooms downstairs. This network has an
access
> point for a laptop. Everything works fine. Now I want to (1) to be able to
> use the laptop upstairs (which currently doesn't work upstairs because it
is
> too far from the access point) and (2) connect a desktop computer (that is
> upstairs) to the network.
>
> Of course, I could extend the physical wiring upstairs to the desktop and
> install another access point. But that would require me drilling a hole
> through a particular wall that I'd rather not.
>
> Is there a way to locate an access point on one side of the downstairs
wall,
> put some sort of "receiver" on the other side of the wall, then plug a
wire
> into the "receiver" and continue with a wired network on this "other side
of
> the wall" and upstairs in a wired fashion to the desktop upstairs? For the
> laptop upstairs, I could install an access point at the end of this
> "extension" of the wired network

---

TRENDING THREADS