Radeon 64MB or GF2 Pro

G

Should I buy the Leadtek Geforce2 GTS Pro 64MB DDR or should I go for an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR? These are both about the same price at newegg.com
I only have a PII-400, 192MB RAM which I plan on upgrading to a Palamino whenever they come out.
I still can't decide which one one I want. I have a 19" ViewSonic A90 which I usually run at 1024x768x32 @100Hz.
I had a Radeon 32MB DDR, but gave it to my girlfriend. The one I got her for Christmas was defective. Best Buy didn't have any more so I replaced it with a Prophet II MX. I noiticed a slight difference in 2D quality. While the Radeon was better, if any of the GF2 Pro cards I am looking at is equal to the Prophet II MX's 2D quality, then I'll be happy.

(sorry for the double post, sharkyforums only has 1 video cards forum, not seperate ones as is the case here)

Behold the POWER of common sense!!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well for straight game playing either card would be fine with the edge going to the GF2 pro. 2d, video and DVD would go to the Radeon. Future games may favor the Radeon more then the GF2 lines still the GF2pro should be able to keep up. Bottom line, both cards are very good and I can't see you going wrong either way if you stick to 1024x768. The GF2 line seems to have 2d problems above 1280x1024 some at this resolution but then again Elsa GF2s have a clean 2d all the way up. For me to make a recommendation I would have to know more on what you want to do with your computer. If you are a 3d modeller spending hours creating 3d scenes then the GF2Pro would be better. Now if you do allot of 2d work, photoediting etc then the Radeon. Plus if you want to watch the news while you are browsing or working on your computer, then the Video In feature of the Radeon64 VIVO would kick so or maybe you want to digitize your familily movies then a Radeon would probably be better. In other words the GF2 Pro maybe better for you while the Radeon is better for me.