Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hey

i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight to
my windows screen.

how do i enable auto logon?

Hi

Download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and
when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon
--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hey
>
> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight
> to my windows screen.
>
> how do i enable auto logon?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thanks but i never had to use a program to make it so that auto logon was
enabled.

> Hi
>
> Download TweakUI from
> and
> when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go
> Logon>Autologon
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hey
>>
>> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
>> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight
>> to my windows screen.
>>
>> how do i enable auto logon?

.. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
.. Type in the following:
control userpasswords2
.. now click OK
.. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
logon.
.. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
.. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
password.

Click OK.
The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

Add Control UserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

greg wrote:
> hey
>
> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went
> straight to my windows screen.
>
> how do i enable auto logon?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thanks but i never had to use a program to make it so that auto logon was
enabled.

> Hi
>
> Download TweakUI from
> and
> when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go
> Logon>Autologon
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hey
>>
>> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
>> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight
>> to my windows screen.
>>
>> how do i enable auto logon?

I recommend you choose a password, but you don't have to. Go to start/run, and type 'control userpasswords2' , Uncheck the password
option, and follow the wizard. This will log you on without asking for the password

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OW3wpGIkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> thanks but i never had to use a program to make it so that auto logon was
> enabled.

>> Hi
>>
>> Download TweakUI from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
>> and
>> when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go
>> Logon>Autologon
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> hey
>>>
>>> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
>>> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight
>>> to my windows screen.
>>>
>>> how do i enable auto logon?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thanks but i never had to use a program to make it so that auto logon was
enabled.

> Hi
>
> Download TweakUI from
> and
> when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go
> Logon>Autologon
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "greg" <creatives98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hey
>>
>> i just had to reinstall windows xp pro service 2 and i now have to go
>> through the logon screen when before i never did. it just went straight
>> to my windows screen.
>>
>> how do i enable auto logon?

Gordon

> thanks but i never had to use a program to make it so that auto logon was
> enabled.

Maybe before SP2 you only had one account?

Click start>run> in the box type control userpasswords2 press enter.
Select account, uncheck the appropriate box.