File Sharing between Win98 and Windowsxp

I have a new Windowsxp computer and want to be able to access files on my
old Win98 computer and also to share a printer. I have a D-link hub which
is used to connect both computers to the internet thru a cable modem. Both
computers can access the internet at the same time with no problems, but I
can't get them to recognise each other.

I used the Network Setup Wizard on the Winxp computer to set up the network
and used the disk it created in the Win98 computer to set up the network on
it. Each computer sees itself in the network neighbourhood area on its own
Computer but cannote see the other computer. I have used this method
before between the Win98/Win95 computers and it worked, so I know that the
D-link hub and cable modem connection works.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Abay
2 answers Last reply
More about file sharing win98 windowsxp

    "Abay" <abcd@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Windowsxp computer and want to be able to access files on my
    >old Win98 computer and also to share a printer. I have a D-link hub which
    >is used to connect both computers to the internet thru a cable modem. Both
    >computers can access the internet at the same time with no problems, but I
    >can't get them to recognise each other.
    >
    > I used the Network Setup Wizard on the Winxp computer to set up the
    > network and used the disk it created in the Win98 computer to set up the
    > network on it. Each computer sees itself in the network neighbourhood
    > area on its own Computer but cannote see the other computer. I have used
    > this method before between the Win98/Win95 computers and it worked, so I
    > know that the D-link hub and cable modem connection works.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Abay

    I had problems with a 98SE after some of the Windows upgrades (on 98) and
    tried for ages to get it to be seen by the other machines on my network- the
    98 machines wouldn't see each other or the XP machines (the XP ones were
    fine). The problem only got solved when I changed it to XP although I didn't
    try uninstalling the security upgrades. Have you ensured your firewall(s)
    allows communication? Try disabling or removing them. It may be worth trying
    the Win98 groups too- they'll be able to help more with 98.

    Many thanks for your reply & yes I tried removing the firewalls on both
    computers with no success .. will try the win98 group & thanks for the
    suggestion .. abay
    \
    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

    > "Abay" <abcd@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a new Windowsxp computer and want to be able to access files on my
    >>old Win98 computer and also to share a printer. I have a D-link hub
    >>which is used to connect both computers to the internet thru a cable
    >>modem. Both computers can access the internet at the same time with no
    >>problems, but I can't get them to recognise each other.
    >>
    >> I used the Network Setup Wizard on the Winxp computer to set up the
    >> network and used the disk it created in the Win98 computer to set up the
    >> network on it. Each computer sees itself in the network neighbourhood
    >> area on its own Computer but cannote see the other computer. I have used
    >> this method before between the Win98/Win95 computers and it worked, so I
    >> know that the D-link hub and cable modem connection works.
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Abay
    >>

    > I had problems with a 98SE after some of the Windows upgrades (on 98) and
    > tried for ages to get it to be seen by the other machines on my network-
    > the 98 machines wouldn't see each other or the XP machines (the XP ones
    > were fine). The problem only got solved when I changed it to XP although I
    > didn't try uninstalling the security upgrades. Have you ensured your
    > firewall(s) allows communication? Try disabling or removing them. It may
    > be worth trying the Win98 groups too- they'll be able to help more with
    > 98.

File Sharing Computers Windows XP