G

What is Stereo 3d and should I enable it? What does it do and how it works, do games support it? Will it lower my frames? Explain like I'm 4 years old, please!
tHANK, yOU (by the way why 6.50 detonator drivers are still the fastest?)

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Basically, if you have a pair of 3D glasses, you pop those on, plug them into your card, and the computer feeds two images, one to each eye, with the geometry slightly adjusted, so that what you see is a stereo image, so you feel more immersed in the game. Problem with this is that most glasses give people a headache, and if you need corrective glasses, then they are almost impossible to wear, though newer models tend to make up for this.

Games that support it; most directX and OpenGL games support 3D output, but I believe that directX does it natively, while OpenGL does it via certain support aspects of the card and the programming (not sure about this, I could be wrong).

If you want to really have cool 3D and have about $5,000 to blow on just a minotor, go to www.3dexperience.co.uk and take a look at their specs-free 3D monitors... you sit within a certain viewing field of the monitor, which has a special grill and double-firing guns that aim separately at each eye, and the monitor becomes a tunnel-box, with image float either in-front or behind the position of the screen.

And yes, it does lower the frame-rate a bit, since it has to draw things twice.

Cow with legs spread wide either dead or playing 'cello.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think elsa have a flat panel 3d display. Instead of flat pixels it has micro-prisms. It also has some sort of sensors to find out you eye posistions and adjust the prisms. I have no idea how much it costs but I think they are expensive.

Also, I thought direct 3d had some sort of system to display red/green seperation steroscopic 3d. I may be wrong though.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>