rt. click "send to"

Home edition. When I right click on a desktop icon, or other application,
the rt. click menu opens and seems to work OK except for the "send to"
function. When I drag onto send to it gets highlighted, but no menu opens --
and I can't move off of it. It remains highlighted., and menu freezes.

I have to click on the taskbar to get the menu to disappear.

Help?

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Some 'send to' entry is corrupt.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF04B095-9DAE-450B-915C-5A8211A06103@microsoft.com...
> Home edition. When I right click on a desktop icon, or other application,
> the rt. click menu opens and seems to work OK except for the "send to"
> function. When I drag onto send to it gets highlighted, but no menu opens --
> and I can't move off of it. It remains highlighted., and menu freezes.
>
> I have to click on the taskbar to get the menu to disappear.
>
> Help?

I downloaded ShellExView and used it, but nothing showed up when I followed
procedure as written. I'm afraid to mess with the registry.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Some 'send to' entry is corrupt.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF04B095-9DAE-450B-915C-5A8211A06103@microsoft.com...
> > Home edition. When I right click on a desktop icon, or other application,
> > the rt. click menu opens and seems to work OK except for the "send to"
> > function. When I drag onto send to it gets highlighted, but no menu opens --
> > and I can't move off of it. It remains highlighted., and menu freezes.
> >
> > I have to click on the taskbar to get the menu to disappear.
> >
> > Help?

No, making an omelet requires the breaking of eggs.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF67EB54-07EB-4F72-B03A-CA4B9A1A1B3C@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded ShellExView and used it, but nothing showed up when I followed
> procedure as written. I'm afraid to mess with the registry.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Some 'send to' entry is corrupt.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF04B095-9DAE-450B-915C-5A8211A06103@microsoft.com...
>> > Home edition. When I right click on a desktop icon, or other application,
>> > the rt. click menu opens and seems to work OK except for the "send to"
>> > function. When I drag onto send to it gets highlighted, but no menu opens --
>> > and I can't move off of it. It remains highlighted., and menu freezes.
>> >
>> > I have to click on the taskbar to get the menu to disappear.
>> >
>> > Help?

This is from the link you provided:

HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Is it a valid "path". I can't find Background. (Shellex doesn't open to
ContentMenu...)

Thanks

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> No, making an omelet requires the breaking of eggs.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF67EB54-07EB-4F72-B03A-CA4B9A1A1B3C@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded ShellExView and used it, but nothing showed up when I followed
> > procedure as written. I'm afraid to mess with the registry.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
> >>
> >> Some 'send to' entry is corrupt.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

If you can't find a fix for registry errors, the olny real alternatives are a new install, or restore from backup. System Restore
would be a good first try.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3B77743-E1AA-486A-AD19-E51493B48982@microsoft.com...
> This is from the link you provided:
>
> HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
>
> Is it a valid "path". I can't find Background. (Shellex doesn't open to
> ContentMenu...)
>
> Thanks
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> No, making an omelet requires the breaking of eggs.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF67EB54-07EB-4F72-B03A-CA4B9A1A1B3C@microsoft.com...
>> >I downloaded ShellExView and used it, but nothing showed up when I followed
>> > procedure as written. I'm afraid to mess with the registry.
>> >
>> > Any other ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Dang. I just got rid of a much worse problem -- as a byproduct of something I
did. ;)

So, I don't want to try restore. Maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> If you can't find a fix for registry errors, the olny real alternatives are a new install, or restore from backup. System Restore
> would be a good first try.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3B77743-E1AA-486A-AD19-E51493B48982@microsoft.com...
> > This is from the link you provided:
> >
> > HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> >
> > Is it a valid "path". I can't find Background. (Shellex doesn't open to
> > ContentMenu...)
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> No, making an omelet requires the breaking of eggs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Unbelievable!? Good news/bad news: The rt. click send to menu does appear --
it just takes about 2 minutes. I've tried it many times, since I
inadvertently discovered it was appearing. Any ideas about this?

I'm so glad it's functional, but having to wait 2 minutes? Otherwise
everything is working at normal speeds.

Thanks

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> If you can't find a fix for registry errors, the olny real alternatives are a new install, or restore from backup. System Restore
> would be a good first try.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3B77743-E1AA-486A-AD19-E51493B48982@microsoft.com...
> > This is from the link you provided:

There is no sendto on the background menu so it's irrelevent to your problem.

"bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3B77743-E1AA-486A-AD19-E51493B48982@microsoft.com...
> This is from the link you provided:
>
> HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
>
> Is it a valid "path". I can't find Background. (Shellex doesn't open to
> ContentMenu...)
>
> Thanks
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> No, making an omelet requires the breaking of eggs.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF67EB54-07EB-4F72-B03A-CA4B9A1A1B3C@microsoft.com...
>> >I downloaded ShellExView and used it, but nothing showed up when I followed
>> > procedure as written. I'm afraid to mess with the registry.
>> >
>> > Any other ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Thanks. That leaves me with the following (from the link):

HKCR \*\shellex\contextmenuhandlers

HKCR\AllFileSystemObjects\shellex\ contextmenuhandlers

HKCR\Folder\shellex\contextmenuhandlers

HKCR\Directory\shellex\contextmenuhandlers

HKCR\<ProgID>\shellex\contextmenuhandlers