New 8400 observation

Ahem...to quote Darth Vader:

"Impressive...Most Impressive!"

Runs everything in light speed and a little touch I was not aware of.

The OS CD is not included and I did not order a burner with the system. The
option to burn a CD was not available obviously (not even on the menu). I
installed the LG 4163B drive and the option was then available after the
system detected a burner installed. The option to then burn the restore CD
worked like a charm. I repartitioned and reformatted and clean installed
without a problem. Again a nice system and gaming is like a whole new
experience again.

Regards,
John O.
6 answers Last reply
More about 8400 observation

    I'm impressed and very happy with my 8400 :) I ordered mine with a DVD dual
    layer burner (3.2ghz, 533mhz, 1gb ram) and made a OS backup immediately.
    Also called Dell to request the XP cd. Got it two days later, along with a
    Drivers and Utilities cd and an "Application" cd for reinstalling Dell Tools
    System Software. No charge. I know I should have reformatted but didn't.
    Took out all the bloatware, ran a reg cleaner, scandisk and defragged. Now,
    as soon as I get my backup hard drive installed, I'll be all set :)
    Monica
    "John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > Ahem...to quote Darth Vader:
    >
    > "Impressive...Most Impressive!"
    >

    > Runs everything in light speed and a little touch I was not aware of.
    >
    > The OS CD is not included and I did not order a burner with the system.
    > The option to burn a CD was not available obviously (not even on the
    > menu). I installed the LG 4163B drive and the option was then available
    > after the

    I like mine when it works... after about two weeks it started to
    spontaneously
    power down after about one minute if it was in the Bios or in windows (no
    disk
    errors) I went through the dell chat procedures and they determined they
    would
    replace the motherboard, ram and powersupply.
    One day later the computer would not power on it only had a blinking amber
    light on the power button. I went through the diagnostic steps on the
    website
    chatted with tech support and the guy said it was the motherboard or the
    CPU.
    The repair tech showed up with a powersupply and swapped that out and it
    worked for about 3 hours then no power again. Called dell they contacted
    the repair tech and said they would be in touch with me (they never called
    and
    when I called them they said dell needed to reissue the repair call). The
    following
    day I fought with dell for 3 hours to get them to reissue the repair call.
    The idiot
    on the chat line was 0 help and finally a guy on the phone determined that
    they
    needed to re-issue the call. Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow. I'm not
    holding
    my breath though.

    Dells are great when they work... best hope they keep working.
    "Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
    > I'm impressed and very happy with my 8400 :) I ordered mine with a DVD
    dual
    > layer burner (3.2ghz, 533mhz, 1gb ram) and made a OS backup immediately.
    > Also called Dell to request the XP cd. Got it two days later, along with
    > Drivers and Utilities cd and an "Application" cd for reinstalling Dell
    Tools
    > System Software. No charge. I know I should have reformatted but didn't.
    > Took out all the bloatware, ran a reg cleaner, scandisk and defragged.
    Now,
    > as soon as I get my backup hard drive installed, I'll be all set :)
    > Monica
    > "John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > > Ahem...to quote Darth Vader:
    > >
    > > "Impressive...Most Impressive!"
    > >

    > > Runs everything in light speed and a little touch I was not aware of.
    > >
    > > The OS CD is not included and I did not order a burner with the system.
    > > The option to burn a CD was not available obviously (not even on the
    > > menu). I installed the LG 4163B drive and the option was then available
    > > after the

    This is the way my first Dell 8400 started out, trouble right out of
    the gate. Once you go past the 21 days, you are stuck with it, so if
    you think that there is a probability that they can't fix it, don't
    hesitate, send it back. They will try to stall you off past the 21
    days and then tell you , you can't return it. Keep that in mind.

    Bob

    "Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > This is the way my first Dell 8400 started out, trouble right out of
    > the gate. Once you go past the 21 days, you are stuck with it, so if
    > you think that there is a probability that they can't fix it, don't
    > hesitate, send it back. They will try to stall you off past the 21
    > days and then tell you , you can't return it. Keep that in mind.
    >

    > Bob

    Absolutely. Given the history, I'd probably ask for a system exchange
    anyway.

    Stew

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:20:08 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> This is the way my first Dell 8400 started out, trouble right out of
    >> the gate. Once you go past the 21 days, you are stuck with it, so if
    >> you think that there is a probability that they can't fix it, don't
    >> hesitate, send it back. They will try to stall you off past the 21
    >> days and then tell you , you can't return it. Keep that in mind.
    >>

    >> Bob
    >>

    >Absolutely. Given the history, I'd probably ask for a system exchange
    >anyway.
    >

    >Stew

    What happens to most people is that they start loading stuff on the
    new PC, and then are reluctant to have to go though all that again
    with a replacement unit. Still, if it seems like they cannot solve
    the problem, that may become what is known as a lemon, and that is
    something you don't want to deal with for a couple of years.
    Especially factoring in that the 8400 is not a cheap machine, and you
    should expect something better after spending that amount of money.

    Bob

    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:20:08 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is the way my first Dell 8400 started out, trouble right out of
    >>> the gate. Once you go past the 21 days, you are stuck with it, so if
    >>> you think that there is a probability that they can't fix it, don't
    >>> hesitate, send it back. They will try to stall you off past the 21
    >>> days and then tell you , you can't return it. Keep that in mind.
    >>>

    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >>Absolutely. Given the history, I'd probably ask for a system exchange
    >>anyway.
    >>

    >>Stew
    >>

    > What happens to most people is that they start loading stuff on the
    > new PC, and then are reluctant to have to go though all that again
    > with a replacement unit. Still, if it seems like they cannot solve
    > the problem, that may become what is known as a lemon, and that is
    > something you don't want to deal with for a couple of years.
    > Especially factoring in that the 8400 is not a cheap machine, and you
    > should expect something better after spending that amount of money.
    >
    > Bob

    I totally agree on the last part. If the hard drive(s) of the two systems
    are the same capacity/size, then they could very likely just be swapped and
    no data lost.

    This assumes, of course, that the hard drive is not part of the issue
    causing the machine to crash - which in this thread it almost surely is not
    a factor.

    Stew

Dell Burner CD-Rom Computers