Accessing a DVD Ram from Windows Explorer

July 24, 2005 12:26:30 AM

Hi !

I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM

When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows
Explorer shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes free

If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.

Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the
storyboard and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it
correctly loads all the scenes stored in it.

How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:02:04 AM

If the driver for this device bears the Windows XP logo, you probably need a new copy of the driver.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message news:mn.bcca7d57ff2b786a.33676@msn.com...
> Hi !
>
> I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM
>
> When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows Explorer shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes
> free
>
> If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.
>
> Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the storyboard and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it
> correctly loads all the scenes stored in it.
>
> How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:00:10 PM

"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM
>
> When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows Explorer
> shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes free
>
> If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.
>
> Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the storyboard
> and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it correctly loads
> all the scenes stored in it.
>
> How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??
>
> Thanks.

I don't understand your reference to a DVD-RAM written by a vidcam. I don't
know of any video camera that writes DVD-RAM. Panasonic stand-alone DVD
recorders do DVD-RAM, but this is what I got from the FAQ for the product:
13. Can I use a DVD-RAM disc in my DVD Recorder that had previously been
used in a PC?
Yes, but because the format is different, you have to reformat the disc. The
same is also true with the reverse scenario.
I have the LG-GSA 4163B and used a DVD-RAM disk to back up files on my pc.to
July 24, 2005 5:01:55 PM

> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM
>>
>> When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows Explorer
>> shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes free
>>
>> If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.
>>
>> Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the storyboard
>> and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it correctly loads all
>> the scenes stored in it.
>>
>> How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> I don't understand your reference to a DVD-RAM written by a vidcam. I don't
> know of any video camera that writes DVD-RAM.

You'll find the camera specs here :

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?pa...

Scroll down to the "video recording" section. Since I have a
rewritable 3 inches disk, I guess we can say it can only be a DVD-RAM ?

There's more info there :

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_295...

> 13. Can I use a DVD-RAM disc in my DVD Recorder that had previously been used
> in a PC?
> Yes, but because the format is different, you have to reformat the disc. The
> same is also true with the reverse scenario.
> I have the LG-GSA 4163B and used a DVD-RAM disk to back up files on my pc.to

If I have to reformat the disk, why is Ulead Video Studio able to
extract the scenes from it without reformatting ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:44:43 PM

> If the driver for this device bears the Windows XP logo, you probably need a
> new copy of the driver.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM
>>
>> When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows Explorer
>> shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes free
>>
>> If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.
>>
>> Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the storyboard
>> and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it correctly loads all
>> the scenes stored in it.
>>
>> How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??
>>
>> Thanks.

Using IsoBuster, I can see that the disk format is UDF, and I found in
the newsgroups that Windows XP needs a driver to handle this format.

There is no driver at all on the support CD, only burning software
(Nero Express, InCD, PowerDVD, PowerProducer Gold)

A search on LG site gives no result either, as there are only "Firmware
updates" availiable for this unit.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:28:14 AM

>> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I have a LG GSA-4163 DVD drive. This unit supports DVD-RAM
>>>
>>> When I put a DVD-RAM (written by my vidcam) in the drive, Windows
>>> Explorer shows (in My Computer) 0 bytes total space, 0 bytes free
>>>
>>> If I double click on the drive, the resulting window is empty.
>>>
>>> Using Ulead Video Studio, if I select to insert a video in the
>>> storyboard and specify the same drive (and disk) as the source, it
>>> correctly loads all the scenes stored in it.
>>>
>>> How can I see the disk content from Windows Explorer ??
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> I don't understand your reference to a DVD-RAM written by a vidcam. I
>> don't know of any video camera that writes DVD-RAM.
>
> You'll find the camera specs here :
>
> http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?pa...
>
> Scroll down to the "video recording" section. Since I have a rewritable
> 3 inches disk, I guess we can say it can only be a DVD-RAM ?
>
> There's more info there :
>
> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_295...
>

>> 13. Can I use a DVD-RAM disc in my DVD Recorder that had previously been
>> used in a PC?
>> Yes, but because the format is different, you have to reformat the disc.
>> The same is also true with the reverse scenario.
>> I have the LG-GSA 4163B and used a DVD-RAM disk to back up files on my
>> pc.to
>
> If I have to reformat the disk, why is Ulead Video Studio able to extract
> the scenes from it without reformatting ?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. I should have dug a little deeper about the vidcam
and DVD-RAM. As to Ulead this article might give you an answer:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/news_ulead_vr_2003...
I have Nero which supports UDF with InCd.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:41:39 AM

"G..." <g...@belsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't understand your reference to a DVD-RAM written by a vidcam. I
>>> don't know of any video camera that writes DVD-RAM.
>>
>> You'll find the camera specs here :
>>
>> http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?pa...
>>
>> Scroll down to the "video recording" section. Since I have a rewritable
>> 3 inches disk, I guess we can say it can only be a DVD-RAM ?
>>
>> There's more info there :
>>
>> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_295...
>>

>>> 13. Can I use a DVD-RAM disc in my DVD Recorder that had previously been
>>> used in a PC?
>>> Yes, but because the format is different, you have to reformat the disc.
>>> The same is also true with the reverse scenario.
>>> I have the LG-GSA 4163B and used a DVD-RAM disk to back up files on my
>>> pc.to
>>
>> If I have to reformat the disk, why is Ulead Video Studio able to extract
>> the scenes from it without reformatting ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Thanks for your reply. I should have dug a little deeper about the vidcam
> and DVD-RAM. As to Ulead this article might give you an answer:
> http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/news_ulead_vr_2003...
> I have Nero which supports UDF with InCd.
Since you have Nero, this link will give you access to a UDF reader:
http://www.nero.com/us/Support_Tools_InCD_4_Reader.html
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:32:10 PM

> "G..." <g...@belsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> You'll find the camera specs here :
>>>
>>> http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?pa...
>>>
>>> Scroll down to the "video recording" section. Since I have a rewritable
>>> 3 inches disk, I guess we can say it can only be a DVD-RAM ?
>>>
>>> There's more info there :
>>>
>>> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_295...

>>> If I have to reformat the disk, why is Ulead Video Studio able to extract
>>> the scenes from it without reformatting ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> Thanks for your reply. I should have dug a little deeper about the vidcam
>> and DVD-RAM. As to Ulead this article might give you an answer:
>> http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/news_ulead_vr_2003...
>> I have Nero which supports UDF with InCd.
> Since you have Nero, this link will give you access to a UDF reader:
> http://www.nero.com/us/Support_Tools_InCD_4_Reader.html

That was the "missing link" : after installing InCD, I can now see the
file and directories on the disk from Windows Explorer. :D

Thanks !
!