Kyro 2 - Part 2

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
(continuation from Kyro 2 the Killer of Nvidia ???)

<b>I hope the discussion will continue here as it was taking nearly 2 minutes to load the old thread!!!</b>

In my last post I posed the following to Teasy.

Hello, Teasy. I noticed that the Kyro II is already available in your country. Do you you own one? It sounds like you don't because you keep mentioning the Kyro 1. In any case, the performance problems that you are describing regarding DX8 vs DX7, do they apply to the Kyro II? (Sorry, if I am asking for information that is already posted but this thread is now to long to scan through it's entirety). Have you tried the beta DirectX 8.1 drivers. You can find them at them at <A HREF="http://www.3dchipset.com" target="_new">http://www.3dchipset.com</A>

<b>Update:<b> It looks like the links for DirectX 8.1 downloads have been removed. Sorry.

<font color=red>I found another link for DirectX 8.1.</font color=red>

<A HREF="http://www.Gamers-Ammo.com" target="_new">http://www.Gamers-Ammo.com</A>.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/25/01 03:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The Kyro II based 32mb Vivid!XS and 64mb Hercules prophet 4500 are now selling online in the U.K but the first Kyro II cards still aren't in stock. Yes the DX8 problem will also effect the Kyro II but hopefully MS will fix the problem very soon. I have tried DX8.1 but it doesn't fix the problem, but then DX8.1 isn't finished yet so it might be fixed by the time its finished. Hopefully I'll have more info on this soon.

I also think this DX8 problem is why the Kyro II doesn't do well in Aquanox. There doesn't seem to be any other logical explanation for it doing worse then the other cards since they all use SW T&L in Aquanox because of the vertex shaders.

I just got this info from Matt of IMGTEC:

"This is exactly correct. We do support render to texture but DX7 does not have a flag for that so you need a hardcoded list. MS have a hardcoded list for non DX7 features which DX7 level drivers do support. So the solution is to update that list hopefully this will have occured by the time DX8.1 is officially released. We could also update our driver to export the render to texture cap but I have no info at present as to whether this will occur. Currently we are working with Microsoft to find a solution by the time DX8.1 is released."

So it looks like there will be a solution one way or the other by May or June when DX8.1 is officially released. The Kyro II's released on May 16th in the U.S (I think thats the right date) so hopefully this problem won't effect many people buying a Kyro II since the problem should be fixed then or shortly after.

G

on that toms review:
<font color=red> "The benchmarks show that the Kyro II on the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 is a thoroughly competitive product when compared to GeForce2 MX/GTS or the ATI Radeon, as long as you prefer 32-bit color. A real highlight is the price - for a mere $149, you get a 64Mbyte graphics card that gives its more expensive competitors a real run for their money" </font color=red>

well any card even a TNT-2 is able to deliver playable frames in 16 bits and bellow 1024x768

so I prefer better performance on 32 bits and higher depths when others start to deliver non playable frames
;)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The Kyro 2 may be a decent card but it does not compete with the GF2 Ultra or the GF3. It was the 'sudden-nes' of the comment they made. It was just unexpected, and it did make me laugh out loud. no, really! not in a mad scientist way though.

For the evolution of graphics, the comment I made was from a technological point of view. I say this because, If people buy this card the games designers will again may have to cater for it by restricting T&L operations. This will restrict the amount of polygons and thus the game detail.

In a perfect world we would have the Fixed T&L, Programmable shaders, Tile based renderring and some newer but essential features such as Vertex processors and physics engines on board the current graphics cards. All of this technology is available, but the cost is far too high. Putting all of this into one card could be rather expensive. But, if it were to be done, in this world, it would take a while to catch on, as the games developers will have to accomodate users of the older cards. Also there always seem to be 3 groups of users. One group would try to get it at first possible chance, Some that would rather get something that will run current day apps at a decent rate, and the final group are the ones standing on the thin line in between.

A near Catch 22 situation is created, when a product comes along and says we will run the current apps really well, in fact better than anything else in our cost category, but future apps are likely to be somewhat of a different story. This will stop developers jumping on to using the new tech. Which in turn will make the undecided group of people, choose to buy something of the older generation. It does not create a deadlock situation but does slow everything down to a crawling speed.

This is what happened to the GeForce Line of cards. The Kyro could have been designed to have a T&L engine which would have made it a far more credible card in my book. Of course, nVidia should take some action to include the Gigapixel technology into their chips asap. But, then again, moving a technology from the drawing board to the production line can usually take about 18-24 months.

The GeForce DDR... I got that for £150 on pre-order. budget or what! It wa going for £220 inc vat at the time. I got it from a vendor known to me (an aquaintance of mine). I only got 10 years warranty. I hear the yanks got lifetime warranty. may be in 2008 i should call up nVidia and say my GeForce card isn't compatible with the Super-Ultra-Tera HoloGraphics port. i need a replacement. ;-)

When I bought this card it was Unanimously THE BEST card in the market. something which is not the case with the kyro 2.

I read the Kyro2 review in thg. It seems to be one of the more flattering reviews. I thought you would be happy. Also, there is no point blaming tom, because he only writes the english reviews, I think this is a translation of the german review.

i noticed I stopped using capitalisations in my sentences. I should stop now.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is to everyone who have joined this new thread.

I thank you. The old thread was just too slow.

I wish I had something meaningful to add to the discussion but I don't. I will just sit back and continue to read. I'll ask questions when I wish to understand something.

I do find it find it fascinating that there has been such a heated debate over a video card of which none of us have yet had access.

I guess I do have a question to ask at this time. It is clear that the Kyro II is not the end-all graphics card and that it has, as with all graphics cards, a limited service life. With that in mind, what would each of you think is a good price point, if at all, if one was to purchase the Kyro II at the expected release date, mid-May? Feel free to qualify your answer.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/25/01 07:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i like the kryo2. a compeditive product in the mainstream market
and good competition brings down the prices. thats the best part

CANNOT afford either a AMD 1.33Mhz or a Geforce 3.

ThePoo!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Oops, maybe I will start responding here. Lucky me I have broadband and the previous thread will load in a matter of seconds, the whole thread.

G

Yeah I have broadband so I didn't notice either. Sorry guys!

Cheers,
Warden

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
No worries, Warden, but it didn't really matter... I'm on dial-up, but my settings list every ten messages and each batch of ten with a number... I just load up from where I left off and voila! But, never mind :)

To Teasy: As for the overdraw problem, I realised I kind of repeated myself with the pipeline statement after I posted, but was too tired to bother changing it before going to bed ;) Still, what I meant was, possibly a hardware solution that would force either front to back or back to front sorting of objects/layers/whatever to maximise use of the pipelines... Kyro's 8 is sufficient for maybe the next 2 years, but once games start coming out that beging using more passes, more textures, etc, then you will still need a way to reduce the overdraw... or am I getting myself confused again... ah heck! That's what you get when a vet has a hobby interest in computers :p

Cow with legs spread wide either dead or playing 'cello.

G

Teasy,
<font color=blue> I also think this DX8 problem is why the Kyro II doesn't do well in Aquanox. There doesn't seem to be any other logical explanation for it doing worse then the other cards since they all use SW T&L in Aquanox because of the vertex shaders. </font color=blue>
Are you sure about every card (except the GF3 of course) using software T&L in Aquanox? I understand your reasoning, in that since they don't have Vertex Shaders they can't do the native T&L that Aquanox is written for. But I am unclear if this requires ALL T&L duties to be done by the CPU. I have read rumors that the CPU only has to do part of the work (the vertex shader modifications) but that the hardwired T&L unit still does some or most of it. Do you have some more info on this?
<font color=blue> When I said that performance would gain it acceptance I was saying that overall its the most important thing. Because your comment seemed to say that politics was the most important thing, which IMO it isn't. </font color=blue>
Agreed. Performance is usually (hopefully) the most important thing, especially in the situation of the Kyro II where big incompatibilities don't exist. We had just spent about 35+ pages discussing the performance side, so I thought I would branch things off to include politics too. Never meant to say politics were THE FINAL WORD in the matter. :cool:

<font color=blue> Also something to the Kyro II's advantage it 3dfx going down. </font color=blue>
Also agreed. This created a hole in the market for another 3rd player, a 3rd player that probably does look better than NVIDIA to ex-Voodoo fans.

You also made some remarks about NVIDIA being the killers of 3dfx. I realize you may have been speaking more of the common public perspective rather than of your own opinions, but I wanted to get my $.02 in about it anyway. :smile:

3dfx killed themselves off. NVIDIA did not come along and gobble them up kicking and screaming--they sold to NVIDIA by choice to cut their losses, a process that took several weeks of negotiations. 3dfx had stopped making money for several reasons. Some of it was bad political moves on their part, when they alienated all their card manufacturers by deciding to make the cards themselves. Later they realized they couldn't pull off the card making side of things, but all the card manufacturers had lost trust for them, and were happily making NVIDIA cards by then anyway. Some was marketing: NVIDIA did a better job of making their cards sound like you HAD to have them. Some was the market decline that has been hitting the whole industry. And a pretty large part was performance too. 3dfx sat around on their 16-bit Voodoo 2 technology for too long instead of bringing their Voodoo 5 technology to market. Anyway, in the end 3dfx was dead before long before NVIDIA bought them. Many people saw their demise coming a good year in advance.

Well, I was going to say a bunch more about the NVIDIA flame thing but I think we understand each other. I am glad to hear that IMGTEC is good to work with, though I am not surprised. Underdog companies are almost always friendly because they are trying to impress. After they become successful... well too often their tone changes, but I hope that doesn't happen with IMGTEC. We could use more companies that manage to be friendly <i> and </i> highly successful at the same time. :cool:

Regards,
Warden

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good grief...I thought that the first thread of this subject matter (aka part 1) was lame...Now they have a part to taking up all the good posts...Please no part 3!

It worked yesterday! :lol:

G

Thanks for your support man. Glad to hear that you read the posts even though you think they are lame... Wait, does that make sense?

Hmmmmm,
Warden

G

if geforce 3 mx will be bandwidth limited like present geforce 2 mx then it will not be a great product...

Holygrenade, what teasy and I were saying all along was that kyro 2 can beat ultra in some games on higher res and 32 bits...
Because of that we can say that kyro 2 is competing with geforce 2 ultra...
;)

G

Noko said on part I that :
<font color=red> Thanks for your outstanding reply (from teasy). Its kinda funny that the Kyro2 does so well with a crippled DX8 hurting the Kyro2 performance. Which just means it will do even better when DX8 is fixed and addresses the problem that ties up the CPU with textures when the Kyro2 can do it many times faster on the card. I believe virtually all the benchmarks on all the reviews where done using DX8 alone, which means the true performance of the Kyro2 card will be much much better.

If W2k drivers are as good as Win9x drivers then I highly recommend the Kyro2. Even the Radeon after almost a year has crappy DX7 drivers in W2k as in DX7 games run like 60% of Win9x performance. So far the only DX8 item and test besides AquaNox is 3dMark2001 which the Radeon runs in W2K just as good as Win9x which is even more stranger considering the lack lusty performance of 3dMark2000 in W2k.

Still the lack of T&L will hurt the Kyro2 performance with lower end cpu's which is indicated when a MX card could keep up and surpass a Kyro2 in a Duron700 machine. With higher end cpu's the hardware T&L hurt the performance of those cards when in high resolutions when there is a bandwidth problem. Sounds like smarter technology to me for the Kyro because even with SDRam, it doesn't have servere bandwidth problems in high resolutions. Still there are exceptions with T&L cards in high resolutions where a T&L card can add significant performance increases in rendering, i.e. 3d modellers.

Really the low prices on GF2s are maybe clearance of older technology while the GF2 pros takes its place. I believe the GF2 mx is a dead end card with a short expected life. The mx doesn't compare to the Kyro2 nor to the lower price DDR Radeons. The Kyro2 is really a blessing because it contributed in the price reductions of the nVidia chipset cards and will probably contribute in ATI stepping up their new releases and even further price reductions. After 8 months I think the Radeon is reaching not only its maturity but also the need for an update </font color=red>

yap !!
good point noko !
But I don't know what are the games that use that crippled feature of kyro 2
Maybe most of them I don't know...

I am with a crap 33.6 modem and I only read the last pages..
;)
No problems here...

you can allways post here and on the part 2 ...
;)

GrahamD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I think CPU scaling is an important issue that has been missed in this review. After all, most people buying a budget video card will not have the fastest processors. How would this run on a Celeron or slowish Duron? Without hardware TnL it would take more of a hit than the GeForce and Radeon cards (for games that support this feature).

I would also like to see a performance comparison with the 32 MB Videologic Vivid XS. This is cheaper still, but I have no idea what difference the missing 32 MB makes. Since Kyro does not use an external Z buffer, it does not need (quite) as much memory.

G

Be careful with what you are saying here. The KYRO II is not in competition with the GeForce Ultra baord, even if it can beat out the Ultra in one or two games in benchmarks. The KYRO II is competing with the new GeForce 2 MX 400 boards and possibly the GTS boards and Radeon boards.

Just because the KYRO II is able to beat out the Ultra in a benchmark or two does not make this an Ultra competitor as in 99% of other benchmarks the KYRO II will lose.

THe KYRO II will beat out all MX boards in benchmarks. It will beat out the GTS in most benchmarks when looking at 32-bit color and high-resolutions. The KYRO II will beat out the GTS most of the time in FSAA 4X performance in 32-bit color. The KYRO II may beat out the Ultra in Serious Sam (So far we have only seen ONE benchmark that has found this to be true AnandTech). So lets be careful not to paint a picture of the KYRO II that is not accurate. In terms of price/performance, the KYRO II is an excellent buy in its price class. With the boards ability to scale well with CPU power and its ability to play increasing complex games (in terms of overdraw etc...) the KYRO II will continue to move ahead of both the MX and GTS boards with future games (even games that use the DX7 T&L feature -- this is MY personal opinion as I believe a T&L unit will do squat for performance if the board hits its bandwidth limitation).

Rich
<A HREF="http://pvr.gamestats.com/start.shtml" target="_new">PowerVR Revolution</A>

G

If you want to see a review that includes CPU scaling (Duron 600, Athlon 800 and a Athlon 1200) check out this review:

<A HREF="http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles/lire.php3?article=316&page=1" target="_new">http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles/lire.php3?article=316&page=1</A>

It shows the KYRO II is still very competitive on low-end PC's and scales very nice to high-end PC's. This is especially evident in games where T&L is used. The only problem I saw in this review are the Giant results. I do now performance is much better than what is shown in this review.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Now that we have exhaustively discussed the technical benefits and drawbacks of the Kyro II I was wondering if we might move on to practicality.

Until the the Kyro II came along (and maybe afterward as well) CPU scaling has not been much of a factor, being greatly hampered by video card bandwidth problems. It seems to me that we are still at a point where even a Geforce 3 is not sufficient to play most games at 1600x1200x32. Maybe I am wrong here, but if this the case then we are stuck at 1280x1024x32 and 1024x768x32 much of time. Most video cards on the shelf today can play most games at the lower of these two, at least. So my question is, knowing that the just mentioned resolutions are what we will be using, which video cards will still be useful, going forward from here, and for how long?

Sure, it sounds as if cards without T&L would be left useless if and when the software industry switches to hardware T&L-only games. I contend that by the time that actually happens all current cards with the possible exception of the Geforce 3 will be comparatively too slow for the more complex games in either case. I also contend that there will be some portion of the software industry that won't completely forget about the installed base of video cards. These are owned by millions of potential, new-game customers, after all.

There will be a transition period. This transition period has already begun but it will be a very long time before even a Geforce256 will be completely useless. A better card will make the transition more enjoyable, and longer, and a Geforce 3 better still. The choice is up to the individual consumer. It always has been.

My point is this. There will never a time when everyone has to stop, all at once, and buy the latest and greatest video card. People can buy what ever they want, whenever they want, and use it for however long it feels comfortable to do so. Some people are still using Voodoo Graphics video cards and they are using them with new titles like the Need for Speed series. Those cards are about 5 years old now yet some are still using and enjoying them.

For the same reasoning, someone might buy a Kyro II today (or whenever it is actually released). Sure, it will be surpassed in a year or sooner by other budget cards but it will still play today's games quite well, and most the games during the coming year, and some of the games later on. Not only that, but it will play the games as well or better than some of the competing budget cards. This fact gives the Kyro II value and more value the longer one continues to use it. As I mentioned before, it depends on the individual.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/26/01 02:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If you read in Game 3 of 3dMark2001 it states that the Vertex Shading is done by the Cpu while the T&L is done in hardware if it is a DX7 T&L card. Reason is because the DX7 T&L is much faster than doing everything by the CPU. Do not know if the AuquaNox engine will do the same when release.

G

<<<<<To Teasy: As for the overdraw problem, I realised I kind of repeated myself with the pipeline statement after I posted, but was too tired to bother changing it before going to bed ;) Still, what I meant was, possibly a hardware solution that would force either front to back or back to front sorting of objects/layers/whatever to maximise use of the pipelines... Kyro's 8 is sufficient for maybe the next 2 years, but once games start coming out that beging using more passes, more textures, etc, then you will still need a way to reduce the overdraw... or am I getting myself confused again... ah heck! That's what you get when a vet has a hobby interest in computers :p>>>>>

Yeah you are getting confused between overdraw and texture layers.

The Kyro II can put 8 texture layers on each pixel in one pass. Which means the pixels with upto 8 textures on each only have to be sent from the chip to ram once even though it only has one texture mapping unit on each pixel pipe.

Usually if a card has only one texture mapping unit on each pixel pipe and wants more then 1 texture layer on the pixel its working on it first puts 1 texture on the pixel being rendered and that pixel passes to the framebuffer in ram. Then in the next clock cycle the card needs to make a second pass for the same pixel to add another texture. This also means the poly being worked on needs to be resent over the AGP port to the card for each extra texture layer. So for 8 layers of textures on each pixel a normal card with one texture mapping unit per pipe would need to do what I just described 4 times (8 passes to the frambuffer altogether) which would kill memory bandwidth completely and could also clog the AGP port depending on how many polys are in the scene being rendered. Now the Kyro II does only have one texture mapping unit on each pipe but what is does is this. It adds the first texture layer to the pixel and instead of sending it out to ram it uses its small on-chip cache to hold that pixel inside the chip. Then in the next clock cycle it adds the second texture layer while still keeping the pixel inside the chip and then is can add another layer and another and so on until it has all 8 layers on the pixel (at this point the pixel has never left the chip) Then it sends the 8 layered pixel out to the framebuffer in ram only once, so there's no wasted memory bandwidth at all.

Now overdraw is a different thing. Overdraw is when a card renders pixels over pixels its already rendered in the framebuffer. The standard way of doing things is this. The card is sent each poly in turn and renderes every pixel. Since the card doesn't know which pixels will actually be sceen when the full frame is rendered and only checks after the pixel has been rendered (depth testing) this leads to lots of pixels being overdrawn. What the Kyro II does is first collect all the polys in the scene and then cuts the scene up into tiles. The tiles are then sent to a on-chip cache one tile at a time were the Kyro II checks which polys will be seen on the monitor when the frame is finished and fully renders that tile after each pixel has been depth tested. Once the tile has been fully rendered its sent to the framebuffer in ram and the next tile is sent to the chip. So because the Kyro II checks which pixels will be seen before rendering it never renders over pixels its already rendered. This saves a massive amount of fillrate and also saves a massive amount of memory bandwidth. Incase anyone wants to know the on-chip z-buffer can check 32 pixels in 1 clock cycle. Each tile is 32x16 pixels in size so each tile needs 16 clock cycles to test the whole tile. The Kyro II can render the scene at the same time as depth testing and since it can test 32 pixels for each clock cycle and can only render 2 pixels in each clock cycle the depth testing is 16 times fater then the rendering speed. So the depth testing doesn't slow down rendering. There doesn't need to be any optimisations for this method of rendering, it gets rid of 100% of overdraw. Most newish games have an overdraw average of at least 2 (this is an average and not a constant, because each frame will have different amounts of overdraw) which means that on average each pixel in the frames your seeing on the screen has been rewritten three times. A game like Serious Sam has an overdraw level significantly higher then that as does tribes 2 and many other games.

Warden:

<<<<<Are you sure about every card (except the GF3 of course) using software T&L in Aquanox? I understand your reasoning, in that since they don't have Vertex Shaders they can't do the native T&L that Aquanox is written for. But I am unclear if this requires ALL T&L duties to be done by the CPU. I have read rumors that the CPU only has to do part of the work (the vertex shader modifications) but that the hardwired T&L unit still does some or most of it. Do you have some more info on this?>>>>>

Anand and others Aquanox tests show that each card including the Kyro II is showing the same poly throughput. The only card that showed a much higher poly throughput was the Geforce 3. 3Dmark2001 uses a custom skinning technique for all the characters when being used with a DX7 HW T&L unit. On a Geforce 3 or a Kyro II it uses normal vertex shader skinning either done totally in hardware on the Geforce 3 or totally in software with the Kyro II. But when using a card with a DX7 HW T&L unit the skinning is done by the CPU and the HW T&L unit transforms and illuminates the skinned vertices.

Though this method is not used in Aquanox at this point. Whether they will use this method or not in future I have no idea.

Something I have to say about the Aquanox benchmark is that the final game will not be as slow as the benches shown. The benchmark (Aquamark) is made specifically to stress the graphics card and the final game will be allot faster. I got this info from Massive the people making the game when I signed an NDA to get a copy of the benchmark. Yep I had to sign an NDA just to get the bench, there really keeping this bench under wrapps at the moment.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teasy on 04/26/01 10:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Be careful with what you are saying here. The KYRO II is not in competition with the GeForce Ultra baord, even if it can beat out the Ultra in one or two games in benchmarks. The KYRO II is competing with the new GeForce 2 MX 400 boards and possibly the GTS boards and Radeon boards.
That is what I was trying to tell them all along. I guess they'll believe it more coming from a Power VR Supporter. Also, I agree with the rest of your post too. Beating the MX (200 or 400) will not be vey difficult, but beating the GTS will depend very much on the design of the Game Engine and the CPU. Beating the Ultra will be difficult in any given situation.

---------

Further to my evolution piece, I believe that most of the new technology in the GeForce 3 will be taken on quicker, because It is possible to have a Game that uses Pixel & Vertex Shaders AND Fixed T&L functions, without huge amounts of duplication, even if the shaders are to perform the same functions as the T&L unit. Developing this is much easier than developing something that will run on both a T&L unit and on the CPU. That is why T&L take up has been very slow. Also, the X-Box factor will aid the take up of GeForce 3 Technology.

One part of the GeForce that will take a while to catch on is the tesselation. This is where a smooth (i.e. spline) 3D structure is broken into polygons. Normally this is done in the cpu. Doing this in the GPU will reduce the bandwidth by huge amounts as well as further accelerating the game and allowing far more complex scenes and far more "curves" in a game. But, it will need large amounts of duplication in the code.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

<<<<That is what I was trying to tell them all along. I guess they'll believe it more coming from a Power VR Supporter. Also, I agree with the rest of your post too. Beating the MX (200 or 400) will not be vey difficult, but beating the GTS will depend very much on the design of the Game Engine and the CPU. Beating the Ultra will be difficult in any given situation.>>>>

Not everyone in this threads been saying that the Kyro II's an Ultra competitor. In fact not many have been saying that AFAICS. I certainly haven't said that. I've always said its an MX and GTS competitor that sometimes beats the Ultra which is just a bonus. What I will say is when the price is taken into consideration its a better buy then the Ultra for people on a budget.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teasy on 04/26/01 08:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Ah, thanks mate :) You could get a nifty job as a professor or something of the sort in a university with that clarity of explanation... good to see on a discussion board :)

Well, I'm clear as a bell now on that... my only thought is, will tile-based rendering always be applicable, or useful? I seem to remember somewhere that as polygon counts begin getting higher, the benefit of tile rendering starts to decrease... personally, I am not sure how that is supposed to work, but it has been floating around somewhere.

Here's hoping Kyro 3 can compete with the big-boys. That would get the market going again.

Cow with legs spread wide either dead or playing 'cello.