Do i need to replace my v3500 with a radeon?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I upgraded my pc and got a T-bird 800 @880, MSI Turbo-R (VIA KT133A), 392 ram (1 256/133 and 1 128/100) and a WD 20GB 7200rpm. The rest are v3 3500TV, SB live!, and a Sony G400 19" monitor

I play flight sims mainly but i try other games as well and i also watch DVD. Do i need to replace my v3 with a new card? I read many messages here and i think that Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO is the best choice. Is there going to be a big difference in fps and quality between v3 and radeon?

Also is the GTS better than radeon or it just has better promotion than the ATi card? (something like AMD and Intel?) I can afford a card in the price range of the radeon so it is between radeon and a GTS card. (i think that radeon 64DDR has the same price with GTS 32ram and GTS 64 is more expensive). Do you think i should wait for the G3, Kyro and radeon II or are they going to be released after 3-4 months and be in the price range of the GTS ultra? I dont afford to buy a shitty card cause i will live with it for the next 12-15 months.

thanks for your replies
Palpatine

G

from what i get from what you just said here. fps on a readeon will be much higher then a v3 or v4 and v5 and from bench marks the radeon 64 vivo is faster them a gfmx card also. u wont realy need much more thena radeon 64 for some time only playing flight simulaters and much of any other games for that matter. i would go wiht the radeon 64 since its cheap and only a couple cards can beat it. and even then do u need to play a flight simulatore ar 100+fps? it will give you alot of head room and keep you from needing a new card for some time as far as a gf3 noone is going to need that thing and from known issues with amd from the first g force i dont want to try them. but then again they could have fixed that and im jsut talking out my ass but if u buy a gf3 at least wait till it comes down in price as buying something like that will extend the life od the card. but since u asked do i need it no you dont need a gf3 but getting any 256bit ddr board will be better then waht u have and as long as it has t&l your set for at least a year. but as a business owner working in this area go wiht the radeon you wont be disapointed with praformance for quiet some time.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Blade2G on 04/26/01 11:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

just to add my email is blade2g@yahoo.com and if you have aol instant messenger or yahoo messanger my AIM name is Dartien DE and yahoo name is Blade2G_22 and i would be glad to help you with desiding on what to get. or anything else computer related u may want to ask. from my opinion of the mx and gts cards they are not much if any faster then a radeon aside from the gf2pro or ultra but for the price and praformance the radeon 64 vivo is better.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Blade2G on 04/26/01 11:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
If you are watching DVD's and doing TV out stick with the Radeon. The picture quality is far better than anything the GeForce line of Video cards can provide.

Also in my opinion ATI's DVD software is better than most of the third party DVD software out there.

Flight sims tend to be more processor intensive so your Radeon will do fine.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.