Sign in with
Your question

Lingering MSBlast woes

Last response: in Windows XP
October 6, 2003 6:51:49 AM

Hello. During the time when the MSBlast worm was spreading, my grandma's computer was infected. The funny thing is that she connects through dialup. So, every few minutes, her computer would prompt her to connect to the internet. In order to get rid of the worm, I used some special tool made by, I believe, Symantec. According to the tool, all references of the worm were removed. But, for some reason, her computer continues to prompt her to connect to the internet whenever she isn't. After she's connected, it doesn't bother her anymore but her computer doesn't shut down like it would normally with the worm continuing to operate.

So, does anyone have any ideas for preventing her computer from continuing to prompt for an internet connection at all times? Or, is it possible that this is a different problem with no relation to the worm? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

More about : lingering msblast woes

October 6, 2003 9:53:26 AM

First of all, run <A HREF="http://www.lavasoft.de" target="_new">adaware</A> and spybot on your system. You could be running dialers and racking up huge phone bills without knowing it.

Secondly, Windows just loves being connected to the Internet, and will take every opportunity to connect, so you want to tell it not to. This option is in the properties of your dialup connection.
October 6, 2003 4:08:16 PM

maybe her comp is trying to check her email

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
October 6, 2003 8:21:02 PM

Yeah, I was planning on running Ad-Aware first just to make sure the problem isn't caused by some random spyware.

I'm not going to be able to do anything until this weekend when I go home. I'll reply once I try this. Thanks.
October 8, 2003 7:38:19 PM

Hi inmehd,
My father has the same problem. I've posted it on 98/me forum because although he got the prob while using XP as O/S, we reformatted and installed 98 (didn't have copy of XP). Even after reformat/reinstall the problem persists (although now it can't actually connect - it just attempts). BTW, he ran adaware this AM and it didn't fix the prob. Tell them to unplug phone line after their finished. My fathers computer was getting online when he was'nt around and communicating with an (unknown?) server. Weird.

I've also posted this problem on other forums, if any solutions turn up I'll try to post back. Goodluck

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 8, 2003 7:56:19 PM

Another thought, I was real curious who/what the computer was communicating with when this occurred. Could you let your granny's connect and see what address it was contacting?

Since this problem continues w/98 installed I'm beginning to doubt it's blaster - I thought that only affected XP.

Also, since the HDD was reformatted, I'm wondering can it be such a thing as a mobo virus? (we didn't flash bios after reformat/install).

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
Anonymous
October 8, 2003 8:41:15 PM

Try checking in task manager to see what program is trying to dial up. Something else you might try is turn off automatic updates for windows. Or anything that has automatic updates enabled for that matter. Such as your anti virus program. Just a thought. :wink:

October 8, 2003 8:59:09 PM

BTW, if you have windows messanger, make sure that it isn't set to start when windows starts. It will also try to get on the internet at startup.

October 8, 2003 9:29:18 PM

That's another thing I forgot to mention...her task manager won't stay open. Whenever it's opened, it immediately closes. This made it difficult to kill the blaster process back when I was mucking with it.
October 8, 2003 9:30:33 PM

It doesn't go anywhere once connected. That's what's so weird about it...IE doesn't open or anything. It just seems like the computer wants to be connected at all times.
October 9, 2003 2:35:17 AM

You need to do a Low Level Format of the hardrive and then reinstall the OP/SYS from scratch. MSblast does not affect Win98, 98SE, or ME.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>
October 9, 2003 11:41:33 PM

LLF is a bit overkill, in my opinion... inmehd hasn't even tried a repair install of XP, from the sounds of things.

That's the first thing I'd do, followed by a proper reinstall if that fails. You should pretty much never need to do an LLF.

I'm wondering if it might be a faulty modem, or perhaps a dialup attempt by somebody on your line. Maybe connect a phone to the line and see if it rings? I'm probably just being paranoid, but it can't hurt.
October 10, 2003 8:49:11 PM

Hey all,
MSBlast.exe to be rid of it for good all you need to is do two simple things and they are one to remove the following msblast.exe from your regedit and also install Zone Alarm (which is free). It will tell you what apps are trying to access the internet as well as tell you who is getting into your box.It seem that the built in firewall for XP DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. Given that you have dailup it makes things interesting for removal. Once you have removed the msblast.exe from you regedit file. The virus will not repopulate. Here is a link for info http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
I do hope that this does help. If not I do recommend a third party firewall other than the MS built in firewall.
October 13, 2003 8:56:13 PM

Well, I got it fixed. After a system scan, Ad-Aware found 189 references. One of those was the worm w32.Spybot which was apparently causing all the problems. Ad-Aware got rid of it and everything is working perfectly now. Boy, that was easy. Thanks for all the suggestions!
!