Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Acer Aspire 5222G with Black Screen when powered on

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 7, 2013 4:26:48 AM

After having my laptop for over 2 years, it started getting a black screen at startup with the HDD and Wifi lights not showing. The laptop had overheated the week before and would randomly work at startup at times and show a black screen the majority of the others. I have already tried taking out the battery and holding the power button, hooking it up to a external monitor with no luck with only another black screen, and using a flashdrive to get another bios, all with no help. My work is on this computer and I really need it to work by Friday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best solution

January 7, 2013 6:15:15 AM

Before you do anything else you should pull the drive and copy the data you need off it.

It sounds as if it's locking before it has even started POST, so any fix is not going to be easy. Since it was sporadically getting past POST, I might guess it's a motherboard issue. Voltage regulation maybe.
January 7, 2013 10:07:37 PM

Update: It randomly worked again and I removed all the data for my work, but what course of action should I take while the computer is still running and okay?
Score
Related resources
January 7, 2013 10:31:54 PM

You could run some diagnostics. HWMonitor will tell you what your temps are
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I would like some clarification though. Is it doing a POST every time? Can you get to the BIOS screen every boot?
Score
January 7, 2013 10:41:02 PM

It's not going going through POST or showing the BIOS screen. I power the laptop on, but the screen remains black without any shift in color showing the screen works. Also the temperatures seem normal at an average of 75C idle.
Score
January 7, 2013 11:57:45 PM

75C idle temps, if that is the CPU cores, is a bit too hot, but that shouldn't prevent POST.

I'm not seeing specs... is this actually a 5552G?
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2010/Acer/As...

Because it's OK once you successfully boot up, the problem has to be in the power up sequence, and that seems to me to point to the voltage regulation on the MB.
Score
a c 249 D Laptop
February 23, 2013 4:12:53 PM

Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
Score
a c 249 D Laptop
February 23, 2013 4:13:02 PM

Hi :) 

CLOSING due to age... but please start another thread if you are still having problems , which I will answer promptly...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
!