Sharing modem internet connection on LAN

July 24, 2005 4:41:02 AM

I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all computers in the
LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet connection. But
I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I do it? I'm
using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the system.
July 24, 2005 1:26:45 PM

The simplest method is via a reuter ie modem>reuter>Pc's
If you connect direct to a single Pc and share from there, that Pc will have
to be on for the others to share, using a reuter will make all Pc's
independant
A branded reuter is generally far easier to set up, it will also have the
advantage of a NAT firewall.

Assuming you've used connection wizard to set up sharing it may be that the
firewall is'nt correctly configured.

"aaa" <aaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all computers in
the
> LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet connection.
But
> I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I do it? I'm
> using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the system.
July 24, 2005 7:35:42 PM

"" wrote:
> I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
> computers in the
> LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
> connection. But
> I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I
> do it? I'm
> using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
> system.

You need to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), do this by
opening the network connections "folder" (it looks like a folder but
realy should be a menu) open the properties of the intenret
connection, go to the advanced tab and click "alow other network users
to use this connection to access the internet", i think you should be
able to work the rest out from there.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-mod...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321034
Related resources
July 24, 2005 7:35:55 PM

"" wrote:
> I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
> computers in the
> LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
> connection. But
> I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I
> do it? I'm
> using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
> system.

If you need to know any thing else, you should find it on this page:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/inde...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-mod...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321041
July 24, 2005 7:35:58 PM

"" wrote:
> The simplest method is via a reuter ie modem>reuter>Pc's
> If you connect direct to a single Pc and share from there,
> that Pc will have
> to be on for the others to share, using a reuter will make all
> Pc's
> independant
> A branded reuter is generally far easier to set up, it will
> also have the
> advantage of a NAT firewall.
>
> Assuming you've used connection wizard to set up sharing it
> may be that the
> firewall is'nt correctly configured.
>
> "aaa" <aaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
> computers in
> the
> > LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
> connection.
> But
> > I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do
> I do it? I'm
> > using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
> system.

When i read aaa’s question, i understood the modem to be a dial-up
modem, so using a router wont work. But if it is a cable modem, by all
means use a router (not reuter).

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-mod...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321121
July 30, 2005 8:19:01 AM

Thank you Sparda for your answer,

When I try the way which you suggest I get a dialog saying that my LAN card
will use the IP address 192.168.0.1. However, this is not good since this is
the IP address used by my router and I have had problems changing the IP
address for the router before. It seems the router needs to have 192.168.0.1.
Can I change the address required by the connection sharing wizard?

Regards,
Joachim

!