Sharing modem internet connection on LAN

I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all computers in the
LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet connection. But
I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I do it? I'm
using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the system.
5 answers Last reply
More about sharing modem internet connection

    The simplest method is via a reuter ie modem>reuter>Pc's
    If you connect direct to a single Pc and share from there, that Pc will have
    to be on for the others to share, using a reuter will make all Pc's
    independant
    A branded reuter is generally far easier to set up, it will also have the
    advantage of a NAT firewall.

    Assuming you've used connection wizard to set up sharing it may be that the
    firewall is'nt correctly configured.

    "" wrote:
    > I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
    > computers in the
    > LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
    > connection. But
    > I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I
    > do it? I'm
    > using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
    > system.

    You need to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), do this by
    opening the network connections "folder" (it looks like a folder but
    realy should be a menu) open the properties of the intenret
    connection, go to the advanced tab and click "alow other network users
    to use this connection to access the internet", i think you should be
    able to work the rest out from there.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-modem-internet-connection-LAN-ftopict399810.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321034

    "" wrote:
    > I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
    > computers in the
    > LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
    > connection. But
    > I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I
    > do it? I'm
    > using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
    > system.

    If you need to know any thing else, you should find it on this page:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-modem-internet-connection-LAN-ftopict399810.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321041

    "" wrote:
    > The simplest method is via a reuter ie modem>reuter>Pc's
    > If you connect direct to a single Pc and share from there,
    > that Pc will have
    > to be on for the others to share, using a reuter will make all
    > Pc's
    > independant
    > A branded reuter is generally far easier to set up, it will
    > also have the
    > advantage of a NAT firewall.
    >
    > Assuming you've used connection wizard to set up sharing it
    > may be that the
    > firewall is'nt correctly configured.
    >
    > "aaa" <aaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
    > computers in
    > the
    > > LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
    > connection.
    > But
    > > I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do
    > I do it? I'm
    > > using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
    > system.

    When i read aaa’s question, i understood the modem to be a dial-up
    modem, so using a router wont work. But if it is a cable modem, by all
    means use a router (not reuter).

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-modem-internet-connection-LAN-ftopict399810.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321121

    Thank you Sparda for your answer,

    When I try the way which you suggest I get a dialog saying that my LAN card
    will use the IP address 192.168.0.1. However, this is not good since this is
    the IP address used by my router and I have had problems changing the IP
    address for the router before. It seems the router needs to have 192.168.0.1.
    Can I change the address required by the connection sharing wizard?

    Regards,
    Joachim

    "Sparda" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I have been trying to use my local ethernet LAN to give all
    > > computers in the
    > > LAN access to one of the connected computer's modem internet
    > > connection. But
    > > I haven't succeeded. Is this possible and if it is - how do I
    > > do it? I'm
    > > using Windows XP every day so, I'm quite familiar with the
    > > system.
    >
    > You need to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), do this by
    > opening the network connections "folder" (it looks like a folder but
    > realy should be a menu) open the properties of the intenret
    > connection, go to the advanced tab and click "alow other network users
    > to use this connection to access the internet", i think you should be
    > able to work the rest out from there.

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Sharing-modem-internet-connection-LAN-ftopict399810.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321034

LAN Modem Internet Connection Windows XP