Cleaning windows

Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.
I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?
--
Thanks for your help.
Life is beautiful.

    Mathieu M wrote:
    > Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.

    No, "Windows" has no such thing. Of course *you* (or whoever set up
    your computer) may have installed all sorts of applications that start
    automatically, but this really has nothing to do with Windows, per se.

    > I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

    Basically, just select the ones that you want to start automatically,
    and then limit other applications from doing so.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    You can also use MSConfig to determine how specific programs are
    being started:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    > Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?

    Again, "Windows" needs no cleaning. It is often necessary, however to
    clean unnecessary, extraneous files from the hard drive. Start > My
    Computer > right-click the C: drive icon > Properties, and select Disk
    Cleanup. Follow this by defragmenting the drive.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Mathieu,

    > Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.
    > I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

    Click start/run, type msconfig and click ok. Go to the startup tab. Disable
    anything you desire.

    > Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?

    Windex.

    Ok, seriously, you will have to explain what you mean by that. If you are
    just looking to validate the system file set and replace corrupted or
    missing files, then "sfc /scannow" from the run prompt is the ticket.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Mathieu M" <MathieuM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Life is beautiful.
    > Mathieu

    >> Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?
    >
    > Windex.

    ....and for the inside:

    http://www.legrady.hu/sc.html

Microsoft Windows XP