Cleaning windows

Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.
I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?
--
Thanks for your help.
Life is beautiful.

Mathieu M wrote:
> Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.

No, "Windows" has no such thing. Of course *you* (or whoever set up
your computer) may have installed all sorts of applications that start
automatically, but this really has nothing to do with Windows, per se.

> I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

Basically, just select the ones that you want to start automatically,
and then limit other applications from doing so.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

You can also use MSConfig to determine how specific programs are
being started:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

> Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?

Again, "Windows" needs no cleaning. It is often necessary, however to
clean unnecessary, extraneous files from the hard drive. Start > My
Computer > right-click the C: drive icon > Properties, and select Disk
Cleanup. Follow this by defragmenting the drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi Mathieu,

> Windows has many programs that start and take memory for itself.
> I would like to know how to have as little programs start in this manner.

Click start/run, type msconfig and click ok. Go to the startup tab. Disable
anything you desire.

> Also, How do you clean windows without reinstalling it ?

Windex.

Ok, seriously, you will have to explain what you mean by that. If you are
just looking to validate the system file set and replace corrupted or
missing files, then "sfc /scannow" from the run prompt is the ticket.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone