email on multiboot PC

July 24, 2005 6:45:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I want to multiboot my PC with two or three different versions
of Windows.

Now, I'd like to configure my email (ms outlook express) so
that the identity folder is centally stored, and all email
installations use the same identity. I want to have the same
saved messages, address book, etc whichever OS I boot with.

Is this possible? How can it be done?

More about : email multiboot

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You would need the same version of Outlook Express in each version of
Windows. If the OE version is different you may run into problems with the
data store.

I have Two instances of Windows XP along with Windows 2000 and experience no
problem. If I try to share with Win98 things go screwy.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message
>I want to multiboot my PC with two or three different versions
> of Windows.
>
> Now, I'd like to configure my email (ms outlook express) so
> that the identity folder is centally stored, and all email
> installations use the same identity. I want to have the same
> saved messages, address book, etc whichever OS I boot with.
>
> Is this possible? How can it be done?

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:21:53 PM

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You would need the same version of Outlook Express in each version of
> Windows. If the OE version is different you may run into problems with the
> data store.
>
> I have Two instances of Windows XP along with Windows 2000 and experience
no
> problem. If I try to share with Win98 things go screwy.

shouldn't be a problem having the same OE version.

How do I set it up?

The OE datafiles are normally hidden deep within the Documents And Settings
of each OS.
July 24, 2005 7:21:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Create a folder called Outlook Express on a partition that can be referenced
from all operating systems. Then "copy" (don't move) all of your Outlook
Express .dbx files into that folder. Then open OE. Go to tools | options |
maintenance | store folder. You can choose the new location from there. Be
careful and thoroughly read/understand all of the popup windows that you
will see.

After you have set up all of the operating systems, you can go back and
delete the original .dbx files if you want to.

--

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> You would need the same version of Outlook Express in each version of
>> Windows. If the OE version is different you may run into problems with
>> the
>> data store.
>>
>> I have Two instances of Windows XP along with Windows 2000 and experience
> no
>> problem. If I try to share with Win98 things go screwy.
>

> shouldn't be a problem having the same OE version.
>
> How do I set it up?
>
> The OE datafiles are normally hidden deep within the Documents And
> Settings
> of each OS.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:21:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> You would need the same version of Outlook Express in each version of
>> Windows. If the OE version is different you may run into problems with
>> the
>> data store.
>>
>> I have Two instances of Windows XP along with Windows 2000 and experience
> no
>> problem. If I try to share with Win98 things go screwy.
>

> shouldn't be a problem having the same OE version.
>
> How do I set it up?
>
> The OE datafiles are normally hidden deep within the Documents And
> Settings
> of each OS.

Another approach is to use the same Registry entries for each operating
system.
Any changes to the mail or news accounts will have to be added to all
systems.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_sharing.htm
--
Ron Sommer
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You cannot just equate the location of the message store between the OSs.
You have to equate the registry entries for OE.

To do this set up one OS and change the location of the message store to a
simple path -- e.g. d:\emails. Then export the relevant registry keys (see
the links listed here: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#6). Then boot to the
other OS and first delete those registry keys and then import the ones from
the other OS.

Everytime you add a message rule, account, or newsserver, then you will have
to repeat that process to maintain the equality between OSs.

steve

!