how do you reformat the hd in xp?

robin

We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses and trojans and
malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program on the market
and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and worse now i can
only start windows xp in safe mode.
It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to reformat the hd
and reinstall xp.

How do I do this?

thanks
robin

--

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

This is free http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

afterwards when you're all set up with your fresh install you may want to
visit this
Don Kendrick

robin wrote:
> We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses and trojans and
> malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program on the market
> and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and worse now i can
> only start windows xp in safe mode.
> It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to reformat the hd
> and reinstall xp.
>
> How do I do this?

Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll
probably get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
unnecessary. Have you considered using an antivirus application to
remove the virus, instead?

However, if that's what you want to do:

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

The O/P feels that he has crossed the line and does not want to spend
further time on removal. He now wants to reinstall.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> robin wrote:
>> We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses and trojans
>> and malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program on the
>> market and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and worse
>> now i can only start windows xp in safe mode.
>> It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to reformat the
>> hd and reinstall xp.
>>
>> How do I do this?
>>

> Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
> rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll probably
> get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
> unnecessary. Have you considered using an antivirus application to remove
> the virus, instead?
>
> However, if that's what you want to do:
>
> Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

If you want to reinstall, you must look at the information that came with
your Sony. I am sure that they have recovery procedures and CD's that allow
you to put the computer back to the "out of the box" condition.

If you have any personal files you need, please back them up to CD's. Your
entire hard drive is likely to be erased in the process, as well it should,
to get rid of extremely severe cases of malware and virus's

If after reviewing the instructions you have questions feel free to return
to this thread to ask additional questions.

--

"robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses and trojans
> and malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program on the
> market and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and worse now
> i can only start windows xp in safe mode.
> It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to reformat the hd
> and reinstall xp.
>
> How do I do this?
>
> thanks
> robin
>
> --

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses
> and trojans and
> malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program
> on the market
> and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and
> worse now i can
> only start windows xp in safe mode.
> It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to
> reformat the hd
> and reinstall xp.
>
> How do I do this?
>
> thanks
> robin
>
> --

Insert XP setup disk, restart (or turn on) and do set up. If it dosnt
try to startup go into BIOS and set CD drive as a boot device.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-reformat-hd-xp-ftopict399904.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1321491

As well as instructions coming with your machine they is sonys support
website information.
http://esupport.sony.com/

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you want to reinstall, you must look at the information that came with
> your Sony. I am sure that they have recovery procedures and CD's that
> allow you to put the computer back to the "out of the box" condition.
>
> If you have any personal files you need, please back them up to CD's. Your
> entire hard drive is likely to be erased in the process, as well it
> should, to get rid of extremely severe cases of malware and virus's
>
> If after reviewing the instructions you have questions feel free to return
> to this thread to ask additional questions.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> We have xphome with sp2 and it is infected with many viruses and trojans
>> and malwares. I have tried every virus program and malware program on the
>> market and still i cannot get rid of the viruses and malware and worse
>> now i can only start windows xp in safe mode.
>> It is a Sony desktop Vio, around 3 years old and I want to reformat the
>> hd and reinstall xp.
>>
>> How do I do this?
>>
>> thanks
>> robin
>>
>> --

robin

believe me this is the last resort, i have tried cleaning it with 3
antivirus programs and six trojan/malware removers and i still cannot remove
the nameshifter trojan and about: blank
and i did a whole lot of research on it too

robin