Voodoo2 with 700MHz CPU?

G

I want to upgrade to a Duron or Athlon, so my question is: will I benefit in speed if I'll get a GeForce2 MX (except from all those cutting-edge effect), or should I stay with my Monster II?
I've looked at the guide named "Influence of CPU on Voodoo2 Performance". The guide says that a 300MHz Pentium II is not able to get enough data to the Voodoo2, so it needs even a faster CPU work on 100%.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Last time I looked (about 2 years ago =) the v2 needed a pentium 2 or 3, 450mhz to max out the frame rates completely. The one time I got mine to work with my millenium 2 and a7v133 (3 or 4 months ago), I got rates of 51fps on shadows of the empire, 800x600. A MX is definately more powerful than the voodoo2, but works with d3d and not glide.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well ATi radeon 32mb it will do you just fine. It get great FPS in 32bit mode then the MX.

Northwood P4 + i845(brookdale)+ 1gb PC100 SDRAM + SCSI3 640 +ATi Radeon 2 = Dream Team :cool:

G

i would rather have it all on a athlon using its new core on a asuse dual board 1gig of pc-6200 (akpc-532)ddr ati radeon 2 128meg card. not sure what a scsi3 640 is but this system would spank a p-4 system anyday

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As another poster stated the v2 is mainly a glide card and will get destroyed by the other newer cards in directx and open gl. If you have some older glide games that you still like it is worth hanging onto though. There are special drivers for use with athlon systems.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends what you will be playing/doing, and what your "taste" is. I am sitting on TB933 with VD3k and love it for UT (and other Glide games playing). My other p3eb800 has Asus7700 for SOF, Quake, etc. playing, but I don’t like it playing UT even it is faster, the image quality is better for my eye on VD3k’s Glide in UT as well as easier for eyes in 2D, also GF2 is not playing all of my games, texture distortions in Midtown Madness, some other, but VD3k plays all of them no problemo, even not that fast. So as the others are saying, if you like Glide games, hold on to it, otherwise get a really good one then, MX is not one of them, Radeon maybe?... eeehh.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

well if ya need a new card slay that old voodoo2 or monster. geta radeon since it dose opengl. glide is and has been crap since opengl got going. i was never impressed with it and cant see how people can like the pastel look it gives. if ya want power at a smaller price and quality picture radeon is teh only way to go.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.