Jenny

Is there any way I can reinstall xp by using product key? My computer was
purchased with XP home preinstalled,therefore I have no operating disk
--
jenny

jenny wrote:
> Is there any way I can reinstall xp by using product key?

In conjunction with an installation CD, yes. With the Product Key
alone, no.

> My computer was
> purchased with XP home preinstalled,therefore I have no operating disk

That does not necessarily follow, logically. Contact the computer's
manufacturer for assistance.

Microsoft requires its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to
provide a means of returning the computer to its original, ex-factory
state. The particular method of recovery, however, is left entirely to
the discretion of each individual computer manufacturer.

Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft
by providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state,
whether it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not
legally obliged to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale.
Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do
provide a full OEM installation CD, that does permit custom
installations and repairs. However, many uncaring OEMs, such as
eMachines, Compaq, HP, and Sony, in an effort to save pennies and reduce
their support costs by having to hire support people that need only say
"Boot from the Recovery CD to return your PC to its original condition,"
provide only a CD bearing a disk image of the hard drive as it left the
factory.

Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."

The computer's manufacturer will have provided you some means of
returning the computer to it's original, ex-factory state. Read the
documentation that came with the computer, or check the manufacturer's
support web site, and follow the instructions/procedures provided.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm