Sign in with
Your question

INCREASE SHARED MEMORY GPU (HP ENVY M6)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 7, 2013 6:36:51 PM

Hey guys,
i just bought a HP ENVY m6 (A10 WITH 7660G)
I am pretty happy with this laptop, but i wonder if i can INCREASE the GPU shared memory.
The laptop comes with 6GB DDR3 RAM and now its only 5.5GB avaliable (512MB FOR THE GPU). SO... i want to increase that value :bounce: 
Well ive heard that other laptops can increase or decrease the shared memory, but i didnt find any post or someone trying to do that with the same laptop as me.
TEACH ME !!! hahahaha.
thanks
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
January 7, 2013 6:40:58 PM

This would be in the BIOS settings. The "Press <button> to enter setup" at the very beginning of the boot process. Somewhere in there, it's different for every laptop so afraid you'll have to do some exploring on your own, will be a setting for adjusting the amount of RAM dedicated to the video. Change it, save the settings, your computer reboots, and you're done.
January 7, 2013 11:01:03 PM

cl-scott said:
This would be in the BIOS settings. The "Press <button> to enter setup" at the very beginning of the boot process. Somewhere in there, it's different for every laptop so afraid you'll have to do some exploring on your own, will be a setting for adjusting the amount of RAM dedicated to the video. Change it, save the settings, your computer reboots, and you're done.

ive already entered BIOS, theres absolutely NOTHING there. just controls for the boot priority.
i dont know what to do, and im really disappointed with this missing feature of the bios.
So theres no way to increase the shared memory??
Related resources
a c 248 D Laptop
January 7, 2013 11:15:04 PM

feoieno said:
ive already entered BIOS, theres absolutely NOTHING there. just controls for the boot priority.
i dont know what to do, and im really disappointed with this missing feature of the bios.

Hi :) 

You could always ask HP....

All the best Brett :) 
January 7, 2013 11:19:26 PM

feoieno said:

If the options does not exist in the BIOS it is not possible. It may be possible that HP has plans to introduce this in the future but I highly doubt. I also have a similar laptop with that chip and have not had any issues with it in most games. If you are lucky maybe someone made a cracked BIOS? I wouldn't try it though... :non: 
January 7, 2013 11:44:48 PM

You could try running Furmark (at max AA and resolution) on the A10 and see if the OS allocates more memory to the GPU.
a b } Memory
January 8, 2013 12:22:00 AM

Don't quote spam folks, it makes more work for us as we then have to delete your post too.
!