Adding logical drives and changing size of actual C/ drive

Hi,

On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:

a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:)

Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:) to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?) without
too much knowledge?

Thanks for your help

Erick
3 answers Last reply
More about adding logical drives changing size actual drive

    Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
    with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
    program.

    An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Erick" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
    |
    | a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
    | 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:)
    |
    | Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:) to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
    | other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?) without
    | too much knowledge?
    |
    | Thanks for your help
    |
    | Erick

    OK I see. I thought XP would be able to do this.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

    Best regards,

    Erick

    > Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
    > with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
    > program.
    >
    > An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "Erick" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
    > |
    > | a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
    > | 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:)
    > |
    > | Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:) to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
    > | other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?)
    without
    > | too much knowledge?
    > |
    > | Thanks for your help
    > |
    > | Erick

    XP can do it during a clean install, but NOT after XP is already installed.
    "Erick" <emjhnospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
    > OK I see. I thought XP would be able to do this.
    > Thanks for your help anyway.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Erick

    >> Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
    >> with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
    >> program.
    >>
    >> An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    >> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > -----------------
    >>
    >> "Erick" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi,
    >> |
    >> | On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
    >> |
    >> | a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and
    >> | 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:)
    >> |
    >> | Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:) to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
    >> | other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?)
    > without
    >> | too much knowledge?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks for your help
    >> |
    >> | Erick