Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adding logical drives and changing size of actual C/ drive

Tags:
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 24, 2005 11:51:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:

a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:) 

Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:)  to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?) without
too much knowledge?

Thanks for your help

Erick

More about : adding logical drives changing size actual drive

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:51:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
program.

An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Erick" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
|
| a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
| 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:) 
|
| Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:)  to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
| other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?) without
| too much knowledge?
|
| Thanks for your help
|
| Erick
July 25, 2005 1:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

OK I see. I thought XP would be able to do this.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Best regards,

Erick


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:eLk8OBJkFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
> with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
> program.
>
> An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
>
> "Erick" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
> |
> | a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and a
> | 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:) 
> |
> | Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:)  to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
> | other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?)
without
> | too much knowledge?
> |
> | Thanks for your help
> |
> | Erick
>
July 25, 2005 3:05:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

XP can do it during a clean install, but NOT after XP is already installed.
"Erick" <emjhnospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:9oTEe.152730$eY.8008802@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> OK I see. I thought XP would be able to do this.
> Thanks for your help anyway.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erick
>
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eLk8OBJkFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Since Windows XP cannot natively create, resize, or merge partitions
>> with XP already installed, the solution is a third-party partitioning
>> program.
>>
>> An excellent third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
>> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
>>
>> "Erick" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | On my Dell PC (XP Pro SP1), I've got 2 basic partitions:
>> |
>> | a FAT partition of 32Mb (EISA config....I don't know what it is..) and
>> a
>> | 186.22 Gb NTFS partition named (C:) 
>> |
>> | Is it possible to change that and reduce (C:)  to 45Gb and create 2 or 3
>> | other drives (logical ones in extended partition or something else?)
> without
>> | too much knowledge?
>> |
>> | Thanks for your help
>> |
>> | Erick
>>
>
>
!