[SOLVED] 13" MBP 2010 7,1: Is SSD worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy160

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I want to know if upgrading my had (250gb) to a sdd in my mbp worth it.
I'm planning to get a 256gb 2.5 SATA II ssd for my mac.
I will have to pay more than $500 for a ssd that is the same size a my old hhd.
How much bigger is the speed improvement anyways?

Solution

No idea for if it is worthwhile or not but there are serious improvements in the time it takes to boot.
Having the computer restarted will take only close to 20 seconds, if you use adobe photoshop or logic pro, they will open in a few seconds.
Copying or cutting to anywhere or to a external hard drive will be much faster than before.

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

No idea for if it is worthwhile or not but there are serious improvements in the time it takes to boot.
Having the computer restarted will take only close to 20 seconds, if you use adobe photoshop or logic pro, they will open in a few seconds.
Copying or cutting to anywhere or to a external hard drive will be much faster than before.

Solution

jeremy160

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the reply, WOW that great of an improvement? Well sounds kind of worth it because I did some research and the consumer MLC SSD last from 7-10 yrs.

crch

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I think you will really enjoy the performance boost you can receive from a SSD. It can make an "old" computer feel new again. If you hate waiting for your computer to boot, or for programs to start, a SSD can be a great investment.

jeremy160

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for replying crch! I think I'm going to buy the Samsung 470 series for my mbp as recommended for one of the best performance and best priced ssd.

halcyon

Splendid

You will love the performance gains an SSD will give you, I'm sure. Get one ASAP. I use OCZ drives (Vertex 2 and 3) and I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.