Installing Windows 8 on a PC with both an SSD and an HDD set up

ericralph

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hi everyone,

I recently built myself a gaming PC that is equipped with an SSD/HDD combo to get the most speed out of my computer. As Windows 8 had yet to be released, I bought Windows 7 with SP1 and installed that.

My question is whether or not I should install Windows 8 now that my computer is set up with multiple programs installed, file systems propagated, etc.; and if yes, then how would I go about upgrading Windows when I have both an SSD and an HDD installed?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Assuming you have a legit copy of Windows 8, I would first install it within a virtual machine using any of the freely available VM software programs out there (VMware Player, Virtual Box, etc.) to determine the compatibility of as many of the programs you use as possible before making the jump.

Most should work fine, but you can never say for sure until you try it out.
Assuming you have a legit copy of Windows 8, I would first install it within a virtual machine using any of the freely available VM software programs out there (VMware Player, Virtual Box, etc.) to determine the compatibility of as many of the programs you use as possible before making the jump.

Most should work fine, but you can never say for sure until you try it out.

Solution

ericralph

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

Thanks, that's a really good idea. I appreciate the help!