File is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Wind..

Receive the following error when trying to launch a program.

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

Here is a summary of what I am trying to do:

I have a CD for a continuing education class I am taking. I am having to
access the program through the CD everytime I want to use it because autorun
does not kick in and when trying to install the program manually the above
error is given. Even though I can access the program I can only access it
through a exe file that is not the main EXE file and therefore will only let
me access most but not all of the programs features.

One other student in my class has XP and she too was not able to get the
program to install on her computer and is having to access it like I am.
Everyone else in the class has earlier versions of Windows.

Being I am able to access that particular program I have no questions
pertaining to it but:

Today I downloaded 2 programs that I need for more continuing education
classes and the above error is occuring again. Being these are downloaded
programs I am not able to gain access through a CD.

Can anyone help me fix whatever may be wrong so that I can run these
programs?

Here is what I am running:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Windows Directory: C:\WINNT
System Directory: C:\WINNT\system32
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Type: X86-based PC

Thank you in advanced,
D. Simons

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look here..
"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

"DSimons" <simosndc@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> Receive the following error when trying to launch a program.
>
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
>
> Here is a summary of what I am trying to do:
>
> I have a CD for a continuing education class I am taking. I am having to
> access the program through the CD everytime I want to use it because
> autorun does not kick in and when trying to install the program manually
> the above error is given. Even though I can access the program I can only
> access it through a exe file that is not the main EXE file and therefore
> will only let me access most but not all of the programs features.
>
> One other student in my class has XP and she too was not able to get the
> program to install on her computer and is having to access it like I am.
> Everyone else in the class has earlier versions of Windows.
>
> Being I am able to access that particular program I have no questions
> pertaining to it but:
>
> Today I downloaded 2 programs that I need for more continuing education
> classes and the above error is occuring again. Being these are downloaded
> programs I am not able to gain access through a CD.
>
> Can anyone help me fix whatever may be wrong so that I can run these
> programs?
>

> Here is what I am running:
>
> OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> Windows Directory: C:\WINNT
> System Directory: C:\WINNT\system32
> System Manufacturer: Gateway
> System Type: X86-based PC
>
> Thank you in advanced,
> D. Simons

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23zEqfoIkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
DSimons <simosndc@peoplepc.com> hunted and pecked:
> Receive the following error when trying to launch a program.
>
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
>
> Here is a summary of what I am trying to do:
>
> I have a CD for a continuing education class I am taking. I am having to
> access the program through the CD everytime I want to use it because
> autorun does not kick in and when trying to install the program manually
> the above error is given. Even though I can access the program I can only
> access it through a exe file that is not the main EXE file and therefore
> will only let me access most but not all of the programs features.
>
> One other student in my class has XP and she too was not able to get the
> program to install on her computer and is having to access it like I am.
> Everyone else in the class has earlier versions of Windows.
>
> Being I am able to access that particular program I have no questions
> pertaining to it but:
>
> Today I downloaded 2 programs that I need for more continuing education
> classes and the above error is occuring again. Being these are downloaded
> programs I am not able to gain access through a CD.
>
> Can anyone help me fix whatever may be wrong so that I can run these
> programs?
>

> Here is what I am running:
>
> OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> Windows Directory: C:\WINNT
> System Directory: C:\WINNT\system32
> System Manufacturer: Gateway
> System Type: X86-based PC
>
> Thank you in advanced,
> D. Simons

Thank you Ricky! Having a problem with the article that was suggested. After
reading the material and putting it to use I
came across another problem. In the article on instruction #15. 15.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

Where is this folder? It is not on my computer that I can find.

Thanks again in advance and for your continued patience

DSimons

"Ricky"
> Have a look here..
> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
> Program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>
> "DSimons" <simosndc@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Receive the following error when trying to launch a program.
>>
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for
>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>> Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
>>
>> Here is a summary of what I am trying to do:
>>
>> I have a CD for a continuing education class I am taking. I am having to
>> access the program through the CD everytime I want to use it because
>> autorun does not kick in and when trying to install the program manually
>> the above error is given. Even though I can access the program I can only
>> access it through a exe file that is not the main EXE file and therefore
>> will only let me access most but not all of the programs features.
>>
>> One other student in my class has XP and she too was not able to get the
>> program to install on her computer and is having to access it like I am.
>> Everyone else in the class has earlier versions of Windows.
>>
>> Being I am able to access that particular program I have no questions
>> pertaining to it but:
>>
>> Today I downloaded 2 programs that I need for more continuing education
>> classes and the above error is occuring again. Being these are downloaded
>> programs I am not able to gain access through a CD.
>>
>> Can anyone help me fix whatever may be wrong so that I can run these
>> programs?
>>

>> Here is what I am running:
>>
>> OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>> Windows Directory: C:\WINNT
>> System Directory: C:\WINNT\system32
>> System Manufacturer: Gateway
>> System Type: X86-based PC
>>
>> Thank you in advanced,
>> D. Simons

Oh Thank you thank you thank you.

No it wasn't a trojan!

Upon visiting the first link in your message and downloading the files and
putting them in correct folder I can access all the
programs that I was having problems with.
thank you again.

DSimons

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :)

--