HELP HELP Can't access 2nd hard drive

Hello can someone please offer me some help and advice.

To better understand my problem, this is a brief description of my system
highlighting the areas where there is a problem:

Windows XP Professional (Service pack 2)
Hard drive 1 = 80 GB (this is used for OS)
Hard drive 2 = 40 GB (this is used for documents)

This is the problem; I had to format drive 1 due to it being messed up by
software. Now that I have reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) I am not able to
access Drive 2. Get error message saying that “access is denied�!!

I have all my documents on this drive, this drive is basically my life.
Could someone please offer me suggestions on how to access this drive?

Note: The OS was installed with the same user name and password as was used
for drive 2.

--
"Lying has never truly solved anything, it just suppresses the truth making
it harder to solve".

N. Rodney

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1E1EF667-B1FC-4E51-A2A2-3EF69C12CD54@microsoft.com,
Moyah8 <Moyah8@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello can someone please offer me some help and advice.
>
> To better understand my problem, this is a brief description of my
> system highlighting the areas where there is a problem:
>
> Windows XP Professional (Service pack 2)
> Hard drive 1 = 80 GB (this is used for OS)
> Hard drive 2 = 40 GB (this is used for documents)
>
> This is the problem; I had to format drive 1 due to it being messed
> up by software. Now that I have reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) I am
> not able to access Drive 2. Get error message saying that "access is
> denied"!!
>
> I have all my documents on this drive, this drive is basically my
> life. Could someone please offer me suggestions on how to access this
> drive?
>
> Note: The OS was installed with the same user name and password as
> was used for drive 2.

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1E1EF667-B1FC-4E51-A2A2-3EF69C12CD54@microsoft.com,
Moyah8 <Moyah8@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello can someone please offer me some help and advice.
>
> To better understand my problem, this is a brief description of my
> system highlighting the areas where there is a problem:
>
> Windows XP Professional (Service pack 2)
> Hard drive 1 = 80 GB (this is used for OS)
> Hard drive 2 = 40 GB (this is used for documents)
>
> This is the problem; I had to format drive 1 due to it being messed
> up by software. Now that I have reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) I am
> not able to access Drive 2. Get error message saying that "access is
> denied"!!
>
> I have all my documents on this drive, this drive is basically my
> life. Could someone please offer me suggestions on how to access this
> drive?
>
> Note: The OS was installed with the same user name and password as
> was used for drive 2.

Hmm... I think I sent one blank...

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Hi,

Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Moyah8" <Moyah8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello can someone please offer me some help and advice.
>
> To better understand my problem, this is a brief description of my system
> highlighting the areas where there is a problem:
>
> Windows XP Professional (Service pack 2)
> Hard drive 1 = 80 GB (this is used for OS)
> Hard drive 2 = 40 GB (this is used for documents)
>
> This is the problem; I had to format drive 1 due to it being messed up by
> software. Now that I have reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) I am not able
> access Drive 2. Get error message saying that “access is denied�!!
>
> I have all my documents on this drive, this drive is basically my life.
> Could someone please offer me suggestions on how to access this drive?
>
> Note: The OS was installed with the same user name and password as was
> used
> for drive 2.
>
> --
> "Lying has never truly solved anything, it just suppresses the truth
> making
> it harder to solve".
>
> N. Rodney

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH. I now have access to my files, life goes
on. Cheers. :cool:
--

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:1E1EF667-B1FC-4E51-A2A2-3EF69C12CD54@microsoft.com,
> Moyah8 <Moyah8@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hello can someone please offer me some help and advice.
> >
> > To better understand my problem, this is a brief description of my
> > system highlighting the areas where there is a problem:
> >
> > Windows XP Professional (Service pack 2)
> > Hard drive 1 = 80 GB (this is used for OS)
> > Hard drive 2 = 40 GB (this is used for documents)
> >
> > This is the problem; I had to format drive 1 due to it being messed
> > up by software. Now that I have reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) I am
> > not able to access Drive 2. Get error message saying that "access is
> > denied"!!
> >
> > I have all my documents on this drive, this drive is basically my
> > life. Could someone please offer me suggestions on how to access this
> > drive?
> >
> > Note: The OS was installed with the same user name and password as
> > was used for drive 2.
>
> Hmm... I think I sent one blank...
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

THANKS, U people are a life saver. :cool: