Lockups in games

G

Hello all,
I recently bought a 64MB vid card, so i gave my 32 MB GF2 to a buddy who was still running a tnt.Card installed fine, installed the newest Drivers(detonator3) and proceeded to show him a big difference in his performance. However whenever we tried to playany game he would get system lockups and black screens. Anyideas on what to check? I know the GF2 is in working order as i was using it right up to the minute i swappped it out.
His system is a P3 450/160MB ram/running Win 98. His machine should have no probs with this card .We were hoping there was a software issue with his system, so we formatted the machine and started from scratch. Same problems ccurred.Any suggestions would be appreciated.He can surf the web fine, and his desktop looks sharp, he only has this problem when he tries to run a game.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had similar problems, it was because I didn't uninstalled old drivers properly. There is surely a procedure on your manufacturer website. You can also check for IRQ conflicts.

Hope this helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

That was an Idea i had as well. He had an original GF 256 and that works fine. I was wondering if the GF2 GTS draws more power, i know i didnt give him a bum card.
It is also possible that we missed some files while uninstalling his old drivers. I didnt know if it would cause alot of havoc becausse we went from a GF1 to a GF2..figured those D3 drivers would be ok with either.
Good suggestions, thank you. I will be going back out to hang out with him this weekend and well try it again. I will get his board model and power supply info then too.
Thanks alot guys.

G

Ooops. Hehe never previewed my first post..i made a mistake for some reason and said he had a TNT when i meant GF1.Too many doobies i guess.Thanks again .

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The GF2 GTS needs only a third of the power of a GF1 DDR.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Check BIOS settings; AGP FastWrite, AGP wait state, AGP 2x/4x. etc...
Yeah GF256 is .25micron die and draws MORE power too...MUST
have a good pwr sply! Only... when I made that pwr mistake
with my first geforce it only slowed down, not locked up...sounds like
Divers or BIOS to me.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.