Video Card / DV Editing

I am looking to get a new video/graphics card for my P3 computer. I am mostly concerned with Video Editing, some 3D - not as high a priority though, could care less about "replay-tv" type functionality. I was considering the:
(1) ATI ALL IN Wonder Radeon 32 SDR

and the:
(2) ATI Radeon 64 DDR

Does anyone have experience with either of these cards, would you recommend one over the other? A different card in that Price range?? ( I already have IEEE 1394 firewire connections)...

Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chilisize on 04/30/01 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
4 answers Last reply
More about video card editing
  1. Radeon AIW has SVHS In while the Radeon 64 doesn't. I use VideoIn allot on my Radeon 64 and the quality is outstanding. I don't do much recording with it but the recording quality is pretty good as well. Can do AVI, mpeg and mpegII effectively with the Radeon. I've seen allot of complaints about the Radeon AIW mostly on Via chipset boards. Most of the problems stems with the TV section, time delay viewing etc. Radeon has key video features which you might want to check out here that gives the best quality of any commercial video card. Check it out here:

<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/atirdv.pdf" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/atirdv.pdf</A>
  2. For DV Editing you need a IEEE1394 (Firewire/i-link) interface. You do not get those on Graphics cards.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
  3. Unless you have alot of old videos that someone wants to convert to mpeg or mpeg2. Still most videos are being made using standard analog cameras. Ideally you would have both digital and analog video capability. Still with the price of a good DV camera you could buy a super beta or SVHS camera and a Radeon AIW or Radeon 64 VIVO Retail and some software with it.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 04/30/01 03:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  4. Especially those sony dv cams. They murder your wallet time and over again.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics