Copying partition to new drive

I'm, trying to copy the C partition of my primary drive onto another hard drive
for backup purposes. I've tried it using Ghost 9 and also the Western Digital
software utility disk that came with the new drive. The partition seems to have
copied, however when I try to use the new drive with the copied partition in the
system as the main drive, Windows will not let me log on. Windows boots up and
asks me to log on, but I can't. When I try to log on, it logs me off. Any ideas?
Thanks.

The wdc software is useless in xp,ghost might work.However,xp has its own,
set the new drive as slave on same IDE cable,format the hd,then go to run,
type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,when the
window closes,youre thru.D: being the slave,although if asigned
diffrent,change
the cmd to that letter.

<rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm, trying to copy the C partition of my primary drive onto another hard
> drive
> for backup purposes. I've tried it using Ghost 9 and also the Western
> Digital
> software utility disk that came with the new drive. The partition seems to
> have
> copied, however when I try to use the new drive with the copied partition
> in the
> system as the main drive, Windows will not let me log on. Windows boots
> up and
> asks me to log on, but I can't. When I try to log on, it logs me off. Any
> ideas?
> Thanks.

The problem may be an incorrect system drive letter rather than
userinit.exe. Open the registry on the system that is causing you trouble
via a networked machine, navigate to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

and delete all values that look like this:

\DosDevices\C

--
William

<rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
> OK, let me try to answer these questions, but first I want to thank you
> for your
> help.
>
> Someone suggested X copy, already in Win XP as a viable solution.
>
> However, the resulting partition would only boot up to the Win XP logon
> screen
> and when I tried to log on, it logged me off every time.
>
> When I used Ghost 9.0 I had even less luck, the partition wouldn't boot at
> all.
>
> I have two partitions on my Main hard drive, at this point there's nothing
> on
> the second partition so I wouldn't care if I cloned both of the partition
> as
> long as the resulting C partition worked. The same goes for the
> destination
> drive, again there are two partitions and no fear of loosing data on
> either of
> them.
>
> This if the first time I have tried to clone partitions in Windows XP, and
> don't remember what I did when I had Win 98 installed.
>
> When I said windows didn't recognize the second partition on the slave
> drive, I
> mean that only the primary partition was viewable. The target drive is
> 250GB,
> two partitions of 125GB each. When I view the drive in my computer I only
> see
> the main partition on that drive. Yet I see both partitions on the source
> drive.
>
> I did not get any error massage.
>
> My primary drive is fine and it is a fresh installation of Windows XP.
> Since it
> took quite a bit of effort to recover from a failure of my last hard
> drive, I
> thought it would be a good idea to make a backup for the future. I really
> had no
> idea it would be this difficult
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the failure in my unfamiliarity with the ghost
> program, any pointers in that area?

You cannot log in because a device drive letter has changed when restoring
the back-up, I have seen this many times.

This is what you have to do

Open the registry on the system that is causing you trouble via a networked
machine, navigate to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

and delete all values that look like this:

\DosDevices\C

If you do not have an networked machine to work with, I have other ways of
accomplishing this task but it is a more complicated procedure.

--
William

<rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
> OK, let me try to answer these questions, but first I want to thank you
> for your
> help.
>
> Someone suggested X copy, already in Win XP as a viable solution.
>
> However, the resulting partition would only boot up to the Win XP logon
> screen
> and when I tried to log on, it logged me off every time.
>
> When I used Ghost 9.0 I had even less luck, the partition wouldn't boot at
> all.
>
> I have two partitions on my Main hard drive, at this point there's nothing
> on
> the second partition so I wouldn't care if I cloned both of the partition
> as
> long as the resulting C partition worked. The same goes for the
> destination
> drive, again there are two partitions and no fear of loosing data on
> either of
> them.
>
> This if the first time I have tried to clone partitions in Windows XP, and
> don't remember what I did when I had Win 98 installed.
>
> When I said windows didn't recognize the second partition on the slave
> drive, I
> mean that only the primary partition was viewable. The target drive is
> 250GB,
> two partitions of 125GB each. When I view the drive in my computer I only
> see
> the main partition on that drive. Yet I see both partitions on the source
> drive.
>
> I did not get any error massage.
>
> My primary drive is fine and it is a fresh installation of Windows XP.
> Since it
> took quite a bit of effort to recover from a failure of my last hard
> drive, I
> thought it would be a good idea to make a backup for the future. I really
> had no
> idea it would be this difficult
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the failure in my unfamiliarity with the ghost
> program, any pointers in that area?

Here is thread that I helped someone that had your problem

http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/cd5a03514c8d3a0d/2fa0b8a198d2959b?lnk=st&q=%22hklm+system+mounteddevices%22+(William)+group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&rnum=2&hl=en#2fa0b8a198d2959b

A shorter link to that thread
http://tinyurl.com/77t3k

--
William

Anna, thanks. Just so you know, I'm posting these queries for a friend whose
computer is down, and he has no connectivity to the net. He's also not familiar
with these newsgroups, so I offered to try and find a solution for him.
Fortunately, my own Windows XP Pro system is running fine. I'll pass your post
onto him about which version of Ghost he's using. I've never used it before so
have no idea what it's about. Thanks again.