transferring files from desktop computer to laptop

just got a new laptop, and was told I could use a data cable to transfer
files from one to the other. followed the instructions, but could not find
the com port. Also, does it have to be just windows files, or can it be any
programs from my desktop?
4 answers Last reply
More about transferring files desktop computer laptop

    You don't transfer a program to one computer from another. You install the
    program on the 2nd computer if you have a license to use the program on two
    machines. Most programs do not give to license to do so.

    The data transfer cable will transfer files - usually data files that you
    have created on one computer to another computer. Ex: address book, I.E.
    favorites, photo's, mp3's, word documents etc.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "wines are red" <wines are red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > just got a new laptop, and was told I could use a data cable to transfer
    > files from one to the other. followed the instructions, but could not
    > find
    > the com port. Also, does it have to be just windows files, or can it be
    > any
    > programs from my desktop?

    Thank you for your quick response. The problem is that it will not connect
    from either computer to send anything. I have some data files from a
    licensed program I would like to send over, and also set up all my favorites
    on I.E. I pluged in the data cable to the desktop where I would normally put
    the dsl cable into and the same with the new laptop. I then used the XP disk
    to set things up per instructions. It kept looking for a port when I used
    Auto detect. That's as far as it would go. I would apprecate any help you
    can give me.
    Thank you in advance.........................

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > You don't transfer a program to one computer from another. You install the
    > program on the 2nd computer if you have a license to use the program on two
    > machines. Most programs do not give to license to do so.
    >
    > The data transfer cable will transfer files - usually data files that you
    > have created on one computer to another computer. Ex: address book, I.E.
    > favorites, photo's, mp3's, word documents etc.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "wines are red" <wines are red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > just got a new laptop, and was told I could use a data cable to transfer
    > > files from one to the other. followed the instructions, but could not
    > > find
    > > the com port. Also, does it have to be just windows files, or can it be
    > > any
    > > programs from my desktop?

    If you are using a LAN connection on each computer you will need a crossover
    cable. A standard Ethernet cable will not work.

    I have read that you can use a USB connection on each computer to do the
    same but I have never tried this method.

    Then there is the "standard" method of connecting both computer to a router,
    forming a small network.

    --

    > Thank you for your quick response. The problem is that it will not
    > connect
    > from either computer to send anything. I have some data files from a
    > licensed program I would like to send over, and also set up all my
    > favorites
    > on I.E. I pluged in the data cable to the desktop where I would normally
    > put
    > the dsl cable into and the same with the new laptop. I then used the XP
    > disk
    > to set things up per instructions. It kept looking for a port when I used
    > Auto detect. That's as far as it would go. I would apprecate any help you
    > can give me.
    > Thank you in advance.........................
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> You don't transfer a program to one computer from another. You install
    >> the
    >> program on the 2nd computer if you have a license to use the program on
    >> two
    >> machines. Most programs do not give to license to do so.
    >>
    >> The data transfer cable will transfer files - usually data files that you
    >> have created on one computer to another computer. Ex: address book, I.E.
    >> favorites, photo's, mp3's, word documents etc.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "wines are red" <wines are red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > just got a new laptop, and was told I could use a data cable to
    >> > transfer
    >> > files from one to the other. followed the instructions, but could not
    >> > find
    >> > the com port. Also, does it have to be just windows files, or can it
    >> > be
    >> > any
    >> > programs from my desktop?

    "wines are red" <wines are red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >just got a new laptop, and was told I could use a data cable to transfer
    >files from one to the other. followed the instructions, but could not find
    >the com port. Also, does it have to be just windows files, or can it be any
    >programs from my desktop?

    If you have any volume of files to transfer then you will need
    something much faster than a com port (=serial port) transfer cable.

    The best way to do this type of transfer is to use the Files and
    Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP.

    Run it first on the old computer to save your data files into a folder
    on the hard drive. I normally create a folder named Transfer to do
    this (e.g. C:\Transfer).

    When the files have been accumulated then you have a choice of methods
    of doing the physical transfer:
    1. Connect the two machines via a crossover network cable. Configure
    the old machine so that the c:\transfer is shared on the network and
    then run the FASTW on the new machine to import the information over
    the network.
    2. Burn the Transfer folder and its content to a CD or DVD if your
    old computer has a drive with this capability and if the folder
    content is small enough to fit. Then insert the disk into the new
    machine and use FASTW to import the data.

    MVP Gary Woodruff has an article on using FASTW at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm which may be of some assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --