Is This Possible?

G

I want to keep my Voodoo4 card for the legacy Glide games. But I need more graphics power for the latest Directx games, say from a GeForce. My Voodoo4 is in the AGP slot. Can I put such a high end card in the PCI slot, and select which card to use based on the BIOS option available? The monitor would be manually connected only to the card selected. Currently the 3dfx tools are embedded in the Display Properties of the Control Panel Settings. What would happen to the GeForce utilities? Has anyone tried this for a single monitor? I do have Windows 98 SE and know about the multiple monitor capability, but I do not think it would be useful in this case. Your help is greatly appreciated.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Getting a PCI GeForce card doesn't make much sense, as these cards are extremely bandwidth hungry.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

bighead111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Voodoo doesn't really need AGP slot, why not exchange you AGP version to a PCI version and buy a fast APG card and try them out? I would love to hear the result!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you have to then. Get an ATi RADEON 32mb SDR PCI. They go for $100.00 usally. Radeon doesnt have PCI problems as the PCI geforce2mx cards. If you have to your number #1 choise is the Raderon 32mb SDR pci. "faster then a Voodoo5 pci"

The only nice Intel guy.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
PCI Radeon SDR can be had for $86 now on the net. Thinking about buying one. Maybe a GF2 pro first for linux on my second computer.

G

Can you locate a cheap voodoo2 card anywear????

If you can throw the voodoo 2 card in the pci slot and run your geforce2 that you plan on buying in your agp.

I ran this setup for a while with a voodoo2 and a tnt2 ultra, and worked good for the legacy games at the time, but as you probably know their are no recent, and definetely no games in the future that are going to be "glide only games".
Granted the voodoo2 is a very outdated cards, but you did state that you were interested in "legacy games" so that voodoo2 should do just fine for older glide games.
I also believe that you will find that any new gforce cards will do a fine job even in open gl and direct3d even if the game supports glide.(Unless your playing UT which seems to run great in glide and a voodoo).
The hard part will be finding a voodoo2 card. You may find someone throwing a machine out with a voodoo in it or selling the card cheap.

Just thought i would throw in another altenative

mark

G

the best option to you is the future kyro 2 pci (maybe from hercules) ...
these cards don't need much bandwidth..
in fact tomshardware tested a kyro 2 agp in pci mode !!
;)

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Riddle me this, Joker.

How in the UGGHHHH! did you get that voodoo2 to work with the tnt2? I've tried these combos: v2/rage pro, v2/rage pro 128, v2/millenium2, v2/GTS.

All that on an a7v133, and a sblive. The funny thing is win98 will recognize the card, but I can't pull up the display properties. It locks the system up. I've tried both diamond v2 12meg cards one at a time, then I gave sli a shot. To no avail.

I'm still chapped from the experience; a whole weekend wasted on reinstalls.......

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Nice sig, does it have anything to do with my post about Intel jerks?

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you remember 3D Video Accelerator cards? Those might be your best bet if you can still find them. You can get a Voodoo2 video overlay card for glide games, and then run your Geforce 2 card as the main card. If you set it up right (and don't ask me how), you can play D3D games off the Geforce card and glide games off the voodoo card without switching manually. And then sell the Voodoo4

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Ok Batman :lol:

I've got a Gforce2 GTS and a Voodoo2 in my machine, and the trick is the correct driver for the Voodoo2 card. If you've load the one for DX6 it will lock up (That happened to me too), but the verison for DX7 works fine :cool:

You can find the driver here:
<A HREF="http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm " target="_new">http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm </A>

Grab the latest driver and you should be fine...it's works like a dream in mine

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic