Intel Shows Off 32-nm Westmere CPU Wafer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
To be honest, since the last time GMA failed on me, I have grown skeptical towards Intel's graphics solution. Let's wait and see what the chips are capable of before talking, Intel.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
It could be nice as a backup solution to have it integrated like that. Additionally you could have some damn small devices with the elimination of another graphics/video chip or card.

G

So should I not even bother buying a new computer until these 32nm chips come out?

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I've used the GMA on the 965 on my work system and NEVER had a blue screen related to the gfx driver. That says a lot! Sure, I don't push it with 3D apps because that's not what it was meant for but I do throw a lot of videos at it.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
If they are the first 32nm producers, why does he mention they have better Gate pitch than their competitors that produce at 28nm?

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
That's awesome! I hope it lights a fire under AMD!!! I'm glad to see the technology is moving faster than anticipated. 28nm isn't that far down the road, SWEET!

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Rancifer7[/nom]If they are the first 32nm producers, why does he mention they have better Gate pitch than their competitors that produce at 28nm?[/citation]

TSMC and IBM/Chartered/Motorola/... are gearing up to 28nm process, which will eventually produce chipsets with IGP for AMD, NVIDIA, VIA and other chipset makers.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah... I'm waiting for the 32nm chips to come out, I almost bit on the i5 (somehow I thought it was 32nm). Nehalem is great and all.. but there aren't any killer apps right now. I'm not so hot about the current crop of games (mostly all ports) and Windows 7 should have lower system requirements than Vista.

Right now, GPU's need to shrink. Most of them are way too hot for my liking.

Where's the news about Clarksfield? Intel's mobile offerings are very stale and I need a new laptop soon.

RaZZ3R

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
He doesn't look very shore what to say, its more like a reversal than a comercial video. Anyhow a like technology evolving at a constant pace but really 2 years betwen 45 nm and 32 nm is really to shorte for costumers, keeping the shoping so often for new CPU's. The best way is to whait for the 2nd generation of curent technologie to buy, for example the new Intel Core i7 and i5, AMD's Phenom II as well. And that applyes to GPU's ass well like: the new (old now) GTX 275. The 2nd generations are mostly cheaper and better optimized ... faster. I would prefer smaller but stronger thechnologie leaps, something like 4 years for Direct X and for the CPU manufacturing proces.

G

Yes this is good, I will be jumping current i9/7/5 and going 32nm new build path. Missed 65nm so makes sense, besides the 45nm setup I hae will go great till then :)

G

Intel seems to be gearing their production towards crap instead of good products. Core i5 is/was the yawn of the century, and this doesn't look any better, unless you get your rocks off by moving a crappy IGP to the CPUs packaging for the sake of being 1st to do it. I'll save my excitement for the Radeon 5000 series, thanks.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...... oh yeah, one more thing it kicks crysis's ass

[citation][nom]omg_yawn____[/nom]Intel seems to be gearing their production towards crap instead of good products. Core i5 is/was the yawn of the century, and this doesn't look any better, unless you get your rocks off by moving a crappy IGP to the CPUs packaging for the sake of being 1st to do it. I'll save my excitement for the Radeon 5000 series, thanks.[/citation]

You got that right but as for the yawn we got about 90 years and three months and a few weeks left. Yes like every one else I can't wait till the 5xxx cards hit the shelves. A little 9800gt 1gb or my 8800gtx can't pull all the weight that my e6400 at 3.4GHZ wont pull on it's own. The one big disappointment for me with the I5 cpus is that prices for the C2Q stayed as they have been for some months now. I wanted a sub $100 quad with a 8x mult.

[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]TSMC and IBM/Chartered/Motorola/... are gearing up to 28nm process, which will eventually produce chipsets with IGP for AMD, NVIDIA, VIA and other chipset makers.[/citation]

becuase intels 32nm would be better then there 28nm

Status
Not open for further replies.