My dvd drive is not recognised

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hi! I recently had a problem with my pc and had to reinstall windows so i took my HDD and took it at my friends place so he could install me windows (i realy suck with instalations) everything went fine without any problems but when i took it back at my place and installed it on my pc my dvd drive was not recognised in my computer ! but theres power on it because my led flashes when i open it and it opens! it's a LG drive and i have ODD instaled but the automatic driver updater wont recognise that i have a drive instaled! i tried unplugging and replugging the drive but no changes.

someone had this problem on this site and had it working using this technique
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
5. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

But i dont have the upper and lower filter in my file!

Anyone has another idea?
Thanks you in advance!

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I have to ask, why didn't you get him to install on your pc rather then doing it the hard way.
To be honest you are lucky that's the only problem after installing on his pc. I can only guess that he has very similar hardware.
Try setting your bios to boot optical disk as first boot device, using your Windows boot disk restart the pc to see if it boots to confirm that drive is ok.

I am a bit dubious on how you said that you installed Windows; this shouldn’t have worked unless you are talking about either Windows 98 or ME. If it was Windows 7 I hope that you didn’t activate your Windows on your friend’s machine
That said if you want to fix this problem the first thing to check is if the CD drive is recognized by the BIOS if it is then the problem is with Windows. You will find that there are many entries in the Registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
And only one of them is for the CD drive, it is important that you find the right one as deleting the wrong entries can trash your Windows installation. An easier way of doing this is to go to the Microsoft site and run the Microsoft Fix It program.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

However I don’t think that this is the cause of your problems at all, you should try installing your Motherboards chipset drivers on the motherboards CD for your version of Windows or better still install Windows properly by doing a clean install.

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Jonmor68:i tried to set my drive as the primary boot device but nothing changed. my first tought were that when windows was installed hid dvd drive installed his drivers on its own and now mine wont get installed but i removed the drive drivers and reinstalled mine but nothing changed

pjmelect:yes everything was done on his pc, he installed windows 7 from a downloaded copy and i bought my key afterwards. thats why i think my pc is trying to recognise his dvd drive instead of mine but im not sure im not realy good with computers.i already tried the microsoft fix and nothing changed

TRENDING THREADS