Geforce2 MX or Radeon VE

G

I'm looking for a video card with dual monitor capability. I use alot of 2D applications and I do play 3D games...which one is the BEST card for me, when running at 1024x768...i don't care about 16bit or 32bit color becuase, my eyes probably can't tell the difference. the Radeon VE is $85, and Geforce2 MX is $115. In my place, which one would you buy...thank

G

i wouldnt waste my money on dual display... i dont see the point in getting that. i would go with the prophet 2 MX because the geforce chip is one of the best ones out there (even the MX version)and it has the best bang 4 your buck.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Radeon VE has much better 2d quality then a MX. The dual monitor setup is more versatile then the mx. There are many reviews dealing with the dual monitor cards so you might want to check them out. I would buy either a Radeon VE or a Matrox 450. Dump the mx in the trash can.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oops missed that part. Hmm, they VE is not much for gaming, I am thinking the best option is a two card setup ( very easy) With a radeon LE as the primary ( and card used for games) and a decent 4 meg pci card when doing apps that require dual monitors.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
DON'T BUY A RADEON VE!!! they are junk. The radeon le is far better and cheaper too. The VE really has nothing to do with the radeon line and is a stripped, dulled down version. The LE is an intentionally driver crippled version of the retail radeon, otherwise it is the same. It will smear a VE version, and an geforce MX for that matter as well. Definitely the best video card if value to performance is your goal.

G

none!!!
kyro 2 all the way
look at this:

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q2/010502/mx400-07.html#conclusion" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q2/010502/mx400-07.html#conclusion</A>

<font color=red>I'm really looking forward to seeing how the acceptance of the Kyro II goes in the market, as it is a better product than the GeForce 2 MX, and at a better price point. NVIDIA needs a little more competition, and a little less domination. </font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Dual monitor support. Someone on another thread had a good idea. Buy a Radeon LE for $70 for good 3d, 2d, video and then by a cheap pci card maybe a Voodoo3000, Expert2000 etc for the second monitor. Still looking at less than $110 but with better 3d ability. A Kyro2 could also be used when the prices come down for the Main card and a cheap pci card for the second monitor.