XP's ZIP Program blocking EXE files

I'm using Win XP and, using the built in Zip feature, have zipped up 14 files
that include one .exe file and one .bas file. When I try to Extract All
files it extracts all except these two files. It says that the files have
been blocked to protect the computer, then I can click on a link to find out
how to unblock the files but the instructions to do so don't make sense. The
instructions tell you to save the file, then right click/properties/unblock,
but I can't see how you can save a file if it hasn't been unzipped....
How can I stop the .exe and .bas files from being blocked please?
6 answers Last reply
More about program blocking files

    rightclick the zip file, then Properties, unblock.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7436804F-DC2C-4284-8DF9-60773A66A692@microsoft.com...
    > I'm using Win XP and, using the built in Zip feature, have zipped up 14 files
    > that include one .exe file and one .bas file. When I try to Extract All
    > files it extracts all except these two files. It says that the files have
    > been blocked to protect the computer, then I can click on a link to find out
    > how to unblock the files but the instructions to do so don't make sense. The
    > instructions tell you to save the file, then right click/properties/unblock,
    > but I can't see how you can save a file if it hasn't been unzipped....
    > How can I stop the .exe and .bas files from being blocked please?

    There is no unblock option in the Properties of the Zip file. There is a
    Summary tab and a General tab, the General tab has Read Only and Hidden, but
    no Unblock. I can't find anything anywhere about Unblock.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > rightclick the zip file, then Properties, unblock.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7436804F-DC2C-4284-8DF9-60773A66A692@microsoft.com...
    > > I'm using Win XP and, using the built in Zip feature, have zipped up 14 files
    > > that include one .exe file and one .bas file. When I try to Extract All
    > > files it extracts all except these two files. It says that the files have
    > > been blocked to protect the computer, then I can click on a link to find out
    > > how to unblock the files but the instructions to do so don't make sense. The
    > > instructions tell you to save the file, then right click/properties/unblock,
    > > but I can't see how you can save a file if it hasn't been unzipped....
    > > How can I stop the .exe and .bas files from being blocked please?

    It's a bug. You either have to email the zipped file to yourself then save
    it and unblock it (the option will be there now) or upload it to someplace
    like www.yousendit.com then download it back and it will work.

    > There is no unblock option in the Properties of the Zip file. There is a
    > Summary tab and a General tab, the General tab has Read Only and Hidden,
    > but
    > no Unblock. I can't find anything anywhere about Unblock.
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> rightclick the zip file, then Properties, unblock.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
    >> "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm using Win XP and, using the built in Zip feature, have zipped up 14
    >> > files
    >> > that include one .exe file and one .bas file. When I try to Extract
    >> > All
    >> > files it extracts all except these two files. It says that the files
    >> > have
    >> > been blocked to protect the computer, then I can click on a link to
    >> > find out
    >> > how to unblock the files but the instructions to do so don't make
    >> > sense. The
    >> > instructions tell you to save the file, then right
    >> > click/properties/unblock,
    >> > but I can't see how you can save a file if it hasn't been unzipped....
    >> > How can I stop the .exe and .bas files from being blocked please?

    Brilliant, this has worked perfectly! This was annoying me so much as there
    was nothing in the help files about the block-unblock option.
    Thank you so much!

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > It's a bug. You either have to email the zipped file to yourself then save
    > it and unblock it (the option will be there now) or upload it to someplace
    > like www.yousendit.com then download it back and it will work.

    > "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > There is no unblock option in the Properties of the Zip file. There is a
    > > Summary tab and a General tab, the General tab has Read Only and Hidden,
    > > but
    > > no Unblock. I can't find anything anywhere about Unblock.
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> rightclick the zip file, then Properties, unblock.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    > >> "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're Welcome.

    > Brilliant, this has worked perfectly! This was annoying me so much as
    > there
    > was nothing in the help files about the block-unblock option.
    > Thank you so much!
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> It's a bug. You either have to email the zipped file to yourself then
    >> save
    >> it and unblock it (the option will be there now) or upload it to
    >> someplace
    >> like www.yousendit.com then download it back and it will work.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "BCP" <BCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There is no unblock option in the Properties of the Zip file. There is
    >> > Summary tab and a General tab, the General tab has Read Only and
    >> > Hidden,
    >> > but
    >> > no Unblock. I can't find anything anywhere about Unblock.

    Its a bug.....is that the best microsoft has to offer? I have to download
    stupid security updates everytime i log on but the best microsoft has to
    offer is ..."its a bug"? MSN messenger does this as well and its annoying the
    hell out of me. I don't appreciate not having control over my own computer's
    settings. It tells you to right-click the file and check unblock, but how the
    hell am i supposed to do that when the file disappears altogether? If the
    answer to this is "sorry its a bug" then Mr Gates should buy me a Mac

Zip Windows XP