Sign in with
Your question

Laptop for Accounting Student

Tags:
January 9, 2013 2:23:52 AM

Hello everyone. I am an accounting student and I need a laptop for school and gaming. So here we go:

1. What is your budget?

I need to keep the price tag under $1300 firm.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" preferably. I feel this is the perfect compromise between screen real estate and size as I will need to carry this with me to class and some of the desks at my school can be on the smaller side.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Somewhere in between the two, but more towards the desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Minimum 4 hours with the brightness turned down and doing web-surfing and taking notes. Minimum 3 hours when doing heavy spreadsheet calculations.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes. The games I play include Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Sims 3, Trains Simulator 2013, Flight SImulator X, the list goes on. I prefer a minimum of medium settings at 1920x1080, the is as low as I am comfortable and happy with, any settings higher are just a plus.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I will need to be able to quickly work with and edit large spreadsheets as well as quickly perform large calculations in these large spreadsheets. I have no idea what affects performance in spreadsheets, but I would assume the processor and RAM are important.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

minimum 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive, the more the better though.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

xoticpc.com or newegg.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Minimum 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Minimum CD/DVD burner, but I prefer a Blu-Ray drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like Sager, HP, and Lenovo, Asus is ok but usually overpriced. I do not like MSi, I have had 3 bad desktop graphics cards and 2 bad laptops from them an I am just done. I also do not like Dell. I cannot say anything about Acer because I have never owned one of their computers.

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So far I am considering the Sager NP6350 with this config:
- 15.6" 1920x1080 Glare Type Screen
- Intel Core i7-3630QM Quad Core Processor 2.4GHz-3.4GHz
- IC Diamond CPU+GPU Thermal Compound
- GeForce GTX 660M 2Gb w/ Optimus
- 12GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
- 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
- 6X Blu-Ray Reader
- Intel Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Card (I believe this is a 3x3 card, someone correct me if I am wrong)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Lifetime Limited Labor, 1 Year Parts Warranty. Lifetime 24/7 Telephone Support Toll Free. Free shipping both ways for warranty service.
Price: $1229.01

Or

The Sager NP 9130 with this config:
- 15.6" 1920x1080 Matte Type LED Screen
- Intel Core i7-3630QM Quad Core Processor 2.4GHz-3.4GHz
- IC Diamond CPU+GPU Thermal Compound
- GeForce GTX 670MX 3GB w/Optimus
- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
- 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
- CD/DVD Burner
- Intel Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Card
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Same warranty as the NP 6350
Price: $1279.00

I realize the 9130 has better game performance. But I heard the 660M runs cool enough you can overclock it a little, plus with the 9130 I had to give up the Blu-Ray and some RAM to stay within my budget. I can't wait to hear some input. Thanks. Also, I have thought about the Lenovo Ideapad Y580, but I have heard they have hard drive heat issues.
!