Corruption of Windows RAM after several hours running

Hi

If I leave my computer (XP + SP2) running GIMPS or similar programs for a
number of hours (doesn't seem to matter which), often when I go back to it
and start to get my email, write a document etc, the computer automatically
reboots. Then it says it has recovered from a serious error. When I report
this to OCA, I get the following:

"Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this
corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the
corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine if
this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic that tests
your PC memory."

I run the tool and it reports no problems with the memory - what can I do now?

--
Cheers
Steve

    I'd try 2 options.
    1. Remove on one stick of RAM at a time & try that.
    2. Check out your PS - borrow another higher 'rated' one.

    --

    johnf

    > Hi
    >
    > If I leave my computer (XP + SP2) running GIMPS or similar programs for
    > a number of hours (doesn't seem to matter which), often when I go back
    > to it and start to get my email, write a document etc, the computer
    > automatically reboots. Then it says it has recovered from a serious
    > error. When I report this to OCA, I get the following:
    >
    > "Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
    > program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this
    > corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the
    > corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine
    > if this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic
    > that tests your PC memory."
    >
    > I run the tool and it reports no problems with the memory - what can I
    > do now?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Steve

    3. Do a Google for -
    'Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
    program code was corrupted'
    as I did!

    --

    johnf

    > Hi
    >
    > If I leave my computer (XP + SP2) running GIMPS or similar programs for
    > a number of hours (doesn't seem to matter which), often when I go back
    > to it and start to get my email, write a document etc, the computer
    > automatically reboots. Then it says it has recovered from a serious
    > error. When I report this to OCA, I get the following:
    >
    > "Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
    > program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this
    > corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the
    > corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine
    > if this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic
    > that tests your PC memory."
    >
    > I run the tool and it reports no problems with the memory - what can I
    > do now?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Steve