Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Corruption of Windows RAM after several hours running

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Memory
  • Windows XP
a b } Memory
July 25, 2005 6:59:02 AM

Hi

If I leave my computer (XP + SP2) running GIMPS or similar programs for a
number of hours (doesn't seem to matter which), often when I go back to it
and start to get my email, write a document etc, the computer automatically
reboots. Then it says it has recovered from a serious error. When I report
this to OCA, I get the following:

"Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this
corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the
corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine if
this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic that tests
your PC memory."

I run the tool and it reports no problems with the memory - what can I do now?

--
Cheers
Steve

More about : corruption windows ram hours running

July 26, 2005 12:27:34 AM

I'd try 2 options.
1. Remove on one stick of RAM at a time & try that.
2. Check out your PS - borrow another higher 'rated' one.

--

johnf

> Hi
>
> If I leave my computer (XP + SP2) running GIMPS or similar programs for
> a number of hours (doesn't seem to matter which), often when I go back
> to it and start to get my email, write a document etc, the computer
> automatically reboots. Then it says it has recovered from a serious
> error. When I report this to OCA, I get the following:
>
> "Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
> program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this
> corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the
> corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine
> if this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic
> that tests your PC memory."
>
> I run the tool and it reports no problems with the memory - what can I
> do now?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Steve
July 26, 2005 12:29:59 AM

3. Do a Google for -
'Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows
program code was corrupted'
as I did!

--

johnf