Asus Eee Keyboard Launching in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
It just looks so damn gorgeous yet it might be so uncomfortable when it comes to simple keystrokes ( which i doupt cause Asus is not such a tarded nor noob company to do such a mistake.. ). Sp its probably so usefull and comfy huh? Damn it

G

i would love to get this but only if it drops in price to near 100 or 150 bucks.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
How much??? If it's around $300 I'm in. I've seen some articles stating that it's useless since it won't send video/audio wirelessly. Ha ha. That would make the device well into the $thousands. At this point I'd settle for around $300 with a HDMI connector.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wireless HDMI output? Does it come with a receiver? If it does I just went from completely uninterested to on the fence. I watch a ton of television, movies, sports, etc on my laptop and this would be great.

A lot will depend on the price but the wireless HDMI output is pretty awesome.

G

probably starts out around 500. Then if we're lucky will drop to 275 (after a year or so).
They will probably also try to make this keyboard with the newer Atom (?N450?) processor. There's already a big demand for this processor, and it hasn't even gone into production yet!

So I expect prices to be steep the first months of it's release.

G

Wireless HDMI seems interesting!
Does it have a wireless receiver too?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
the price shouldn't matter to anyone that paid attention to the fact that this thing connects over 'wireless' HDMI which, last i heard, was very rare in consumer TVs/audio receivers and was also very expensive when found. i think it's a nice concept and will turn out to be really sweet when they bring down the cost of the framework (wireless HDMI TV/audio receivers).

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
also, the wireless HDMI standard operates on common 802.11 wireless frequencies, so expect interference from you other common wireless devices...

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]also, the wireless HDMI standard operates on common 802.11 wireless frequencies, so expect interference from you other common wireless devices...[/citation]

No, Wireless HDMI operates on the 60Ghz Band like the Geigen Wireless HDMI point to point.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]i would love to get this but only if it drops in price to near 100 or 150 bucks.[/citation]
Why? It's basically a netbook without the crappy screen.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Its a netbook in a keyboard with wireless HDMI and bluetooth. I'd buy this over a netbook any day! I would love to Mod this with a bigger SDD, and anything else that would crazily fit without draining the battery life. You can probably pick up a HDMI receiver once it comes out or it will be bundled which would drive up the price. My guess it would cost around the 400's without the receiver.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]nitto555rchallenger[/nom]I would love to Mod this with a bigger SDD, and anything else that would crazily fit without draining the battery life.[/citation]
Memory is soldered onto the mobo, the SSD looks like a proprietary size and connector, and no card reader slots. You couldn't do anything to it except plug in a USB stick. If you really want to upgrade it you should stick with a real netbook.

http://www.blogeee.net/2009/07/08/test-eeekeyboard-fonctionnement-et-composants/

If I was getting one I would be more worried about the battery size and if I could possibly stick a larger one in. 13.91Wh (1880mAh@7.4v) is going to last barely 30min with 23-25w being drawn. You can't even get through a movie without needing your keyboard tethered to a cord.

It's a great idea for an HTPC, but it needs some real graphics muscle like Pinetrail or Ion. Adding a Silicon Image chip for decoding seems like a band-aid fix, and probably uses more power than Ion. And until it has at least 2.5 hours of battery life while streaming some HD content over my home network, I couldn't consider it a viable option. I'd rather just convert my wife's desktop into an HTPC, get a wireless keyboard/trackball, and not be tangled up in power cables hanging off my keyboard all the time.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
http://www.blogeee.net/2009/07/08/test-eeekeyboard-fonctionnement-et-composants/

The link didn't post. This was from back in July.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fsc[/nom]Eee Keyboard no no NO!!! It should have been named Eeeboard[/citation]Me likes the sound of Keeeboard more.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
OK, links to my NAS drive where I store all my video files, then links to my TV by wireless HDMI. I stream my video files directly to the TV using it as a big remote control.

Sounds.

Interesting.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]pender21[/nom]No, Wireless HDMI operates on the 60Ghz Band like the Geigen Wireless HDMI point to point.[/citation]

eh.. that's a bleeding edge implementation specific to 1 product line by Gefen, though that points out the reality of wireless HDMI... it cost way more than most people are willing to pay for. it is still a toy for the rich.

G

[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Why? It's basically a netbook without the crappy screen.[/citation]

well there are a couple of reasons i might want it maybe being cause this product looks interesting to me and could possible serve as a light weight supplement for my full size notebook. plus the uniqueness intrigues me.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]FSXFan[/nom]Memory is soldered onto the mobo, the SSD looks like a proprietary size and connector, and no card reader slots. You couldn't do anything to it except plug in a USB stick. [/citation] I've done some crazy mods before and micro-soldering isn't that hard, I use to do that for a living as a electronics technician. The last thing I did was replace the old heatsink and pipes in my dell laptop with higher grade copper, which was all hand built. Or the time I built a pc controlled electronic starter for this year's fireworks display.

This was previewed last January, so the Ion was not released until February and Pine Trail hasn't been release yet, not till sometime next year. Your right on the chips that could be used, but give it a year or 2 for them to make the 2nd gen with a lower energy consumption chipset.

I would still get this over a netbook any day, I can barely type on their mini keyboards and I owned the first Eee the day it came out. I find netbooks as a novelty, just like this keyboard. It's no really work horse like a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS