Windows XP Diskeeper

I would like to install Diskeeper 8.0 and use instead of the one that came
with Windows XP. I have checked and they at Executive Software said that the
one in XP was a Diskeeper earlier edition around a 1.5. What do I do to
install 8.0. Thanks everyone for the help and all have a good day, JJ
4 answers Last reply
More about windows diskeeper

    "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to install Diskeeper 8.0 and use instead of the one that came
    > with Windows XP. I have checked and they at Executive Software said that
    > the
    > one in XP was a Diskeeper earlier edition around a 1.5. What do I do to
    > install 8.0. Thanks everyone for the help and all have a good day, JJ

    Actually you should use version 9.0 of Diskeeper.
    As regards the install process - you just run the setup and it will replace
    the built in defrag tool with the full version of Diskeeper.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Actually you should use version 9.0 of Diskeeper.
    > As regards the install process - you just run the setup and it will
    > replace the built in defrag tool with the full version of Diskeeper.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups

    Mike:
    The above was your response to a query from a poster inquiring about what
    version of a third-party disk defragmenting utility he or she should use.

    I'm curious to know Microsoft's position on the use of these third-party
    "defragmenters" in terms of their perceived usefulness in general, and
    especially in comparison to the defragmenting utility included in the XP OS.

    I would particularly like you to comment on the following article on the
    value of defragmenting programs published in the February, 2004 issue of PC
    World...

    "When was the last time you defragmented your hard disk? As your PC creates,
    modifies, and deletes files on the hard drive, files tend to get broken up
    into pieces that are physically scattered around the disk. Drives and file
    systems are built to keep track of these noncontiguous file parts, but if a
    significant portion of your hard drive has become fragmented, its
    performance might suffer.

    Then again, it might not. When the PC World Test Center set out to determine
    the effectiveness of the defrag utilities in our set of suites, plus that of
    Diskeeper 8 from Executive Software, our analysts found no evidence that
    defragmentation enhanced performance. On a desktop system from the PC World
    office with a heavily used, never-fragmented hard drive, the lab conducted
    speed tests using a range of applications before and after defragmenting the
    drive with each utility. In the end, the Test Center saw no significant
    performance improvement after defragmenting with any program This result
    flies in the face of the perceived wisdom that fragmentation hinders
    performance, though much older PCs (with slower and smaller hard drives) and
    heavily used servers may benefit from defragging.

    Fortunately, you don't have to buy a defragger to see if it will boost
    performance on your system: Every copy of Windows comes with a
    defragmentation tool. However, it is not particularly easy to use. Diskeeper
    8 Professional Edition offers set-it-forget-it scheduling options, the
    ability to prioritize or skip defragmentation of specific files, and a
    display that predicts how much faster your system will be after
    defragmentation. Our tests didn't validate those predictions, though; again,
    we say no performance gains after defragmenting."

    Looking forward to your response, especially should it represent the
    "official" view of Microsoft..
    Anna

    Anna,

    I cannot on that particular study without knowing the finite details etc.
    But there have been others conducted in the past
    such as
    http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/IDC-White-Paper.pdf from Diskeeper Corp
    (formally Executive software) a paper by IDC
    That would counter that paper.
    There are also other products available - notably those from Raxco (Perfect
    Disk - another good product) and they too have produced figures for their
    products.
    NTSL have also done some testing around this www.nstl.com

    Ultimately the choice to use a product is up to the consumer and they should
    evaluate the benefits of a product prior to making a purchasing decision.

    As regards the differences between the built in defragmentation product and
    another third party product; Diskeeper did a comparison vs. their product at
    http://files.diskeeper.com/pdf/DK-WINXP-2000_Comparison.pdf

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    > performance, though much older PCs (with slower and smaller hard drives)
    > and
    > heavily used servers may benefit from defragging.
    >
    > Fortunately, you don't have to buy a defragger to see if it will boost
    > performance on your system: Every copy of Windows comes with a
    > defragmentation tool. However, it is not particularly easy to use.
    > Diskeeper
    > 8 Professional Edition offers set-it-forget-it scheduling options, the
    > ability to prioritize or skip defragmentation of specific files, and a
    > display that predicts how much faster your system will be after
    > defragmentation. Our tests didn't validate those predictions, though;
    > again,
    > we say no performance gains after defragmenting."
    >
    > Looking forward to your response, especially should it represent the

    AFAIK - Microsoft has a deal with diskeeper so that you will be using their
    program as part of windows, albeit the latest version if that's what you
    will install.

    Good luck.

Support Microsoft Windows XP