net send - command prompt

I've used the "net send" command before when on company networks (handy
for bouncing messages back and forth, and for getting your point
noticed). What I was wondering is whether it's possible to use the
"net send" command over the web between two pc's. I tried to net send
my own pc as a test, but I just keep getting an error message.

My set up is:

* Win xp with xp firewall
* broadband connection behind a Creative broadband blaster router
* Static IP address

I picked a random port number (against tcp) and forwarded it in the
router setup. I also made the cmd program an exception in the windows
firewall setup. Still no joy. Am I doing something wrong, or can it
not be done?

All tips appreciated.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about send command prompt

    "AnLaoch" <emlyn@utvinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I've used the "net send" command before when on company networks (handy
    > for bouncing messages back and forth, and for getting your point
    > noticed). What I was wondering is whether it's possible to use the
    > "net send" command over the web between two pc's. I tried to net send
    > my own pc as a test, but I just keep getting an error message.
    >
    > My set up is:
    >
    > * Win xp with xp firewall
    > * broadband connection behind a Creative broadband blaster router
    > * Static IP address
    >
    > I picked a random port number (against tcp) and forwarded it in the
    > router setup. I also made the cmd program an exception in the windows
    > firewall setup. Still no joy. Am I doing something wrong, or can it
    > not be done?
    >
    > All tips appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Is the Messenger service turned on? SP2 turns it off by default. This is not
    Windows or MSN Messenger but the Messenger service.

    Kerry

    Additional info - Port Numers involved:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Additional info - Port Numers involved:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    >> "AnLaoch" <emlyn@utvinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've used the "net send" command before when on company networks (handy
    >>> for bouncing messages back and forth, and for getting your point
    >>> noticed). What I was wondering is whether it's possible to use the
    >>> "net send" command over the web between two pc's. I tried to net send
    >>> my own pc as a test, but I just keep getting an error message.
    >>>
    >>> My set up is:
    >>>
    >>> * Win xp with xp firewall
    >>> * broadband connection behind a Creative broadband blaster router
    >>> * Static IP address
    >>>
    >>> I picked a random port number (against tcp) and forwarded it in the
    >>> router setup. I also made the cmd program an exception in the windows
    >>> firewall setup. Still no joy. Am I doing something wrong, or can it
    >>> not be done?
    >>>
    >>> All tips appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Is the Messenger service turned on? SP2 turns it off by default. This is
    >> not Windows or MSN Messenger but the Messenger service.
    >>
    >> Kerry

    Another thing to note. If you open up your Internet connection to receive
    net send you will receive many spam messages. That's why it was turned off
    with SP2.

    Kerry

    Turns out that all I had to do was to enable the Messenger service
    and...bingo! I had it on for only a few minutes and then shutdown. On
    average, if it's left on, how frequent would spam be sent to my
    machine, hourly, daily, by the minute?

    Cmd is not the program. Net is.

    "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message news:uILyHvSkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Additional info - Port Numers involved:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
    >>> "AnLaoch" <emlyn@utvinternet.com> wrote in message

    >>> Is the Messenger service turned on? SP2 turns it off by default. This is
    >>> not Windows or MSN Messenger but the Messenger service.
    >>>
    >>> Kerry
    >>>

    > Another thing to note. If you open up your Internet connection to receive
    > net send you will receive many spam messages. That's why it was turned off
    > with SP2.
    >
    > Kerry

Command Prompt Windows XP