Can Startup programs be delayed?

July 25, 2005 1:09:31 PM

I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to cause
problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup folder.

Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
short delay?

Thanks for any help,

Donald S.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:15:56 AM

Donald,

Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and delay
for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a Startup
Manager that might help.

Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
>Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to cause
>problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup folder.
>
> Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
> short delay?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Donald S.

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:15:57 AM

I'll try Tech-Pro if I can't find a simpler solution.

To better explain: My computer will start Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus
first, usually. Then, under normal circumstances, I have at least 3 instant
messaging programs try to start at the same time. Almost always there are
connectivity issues which I assume are caused by Zonealarm and Norton trying
to start and configure themselves. I want the instant messaging programs to
be delayed a few seconds.

I once used the auto-start features within the instant messaging programs
but this causes them to start for every user. I don't want my 7 & 10 year
olds toying with instant messaging when they log on their seperate accounts.
Using the Startup folder is an easy way to control access to the programs
although I may soon revert to "Doug's Windows XP Security Console" to solve
this.

Thanks again,

Donald

news:o k3%23NeSkFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Donald,
>
> Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and
> delay for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a
> Startup Manager that might help.
>
> Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
> http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
>>Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to
>>cause problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup
>>folder.
>>
>> Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
>> short delay?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Donald S.

July 26, 2005 12:15:58 AM

Freeware Startup Delayer does exactly what you want to do.

"LSUfan71" wrote:

> I'll try Tech-Pro if I can't find a simpler solution.
>
> To better explain: My computer will start Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus
> first, usually. Then, under normal circumstances, I have at least 3 instant
> messaging programs try to start at the same time. Almost always there are
> connectivity issues which I assume are caused by Zonealarm and Norton trying
> to start and configure themselves. I want the instant messaging programs to
> be delayed a few seconds.
>
> I once used the auto-start features within the instant messaging programs
> but this causes them to start for every user. I don't want my 7 & 10 year
> olds toying with instant messaging when they log on their seperate accounts.
> Using the Startup folder is an easy way to control access to the programs
> although I may soon revert to "Doug's Windows XP Security Console" to solve
> this.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Donald
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o k3%23NeSkFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Donald,
> >
> > Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and
> > delay for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a
> > Startup Manager that might help.
> >
> > Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
> > http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
> >>Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to
> >>cause problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup
> >>folder.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
> >> short delay?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help,
> >>
> >> Donald S.

Anonymous