Can Startup programs be delayed?

I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to cause
problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup folder.

Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
short delay?

Thanks for any help,

Donald S.
4 answers Last reply
More about startup programs delayed

    Donald,

    Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and delay
    for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a Startup
    Manager that might help.

    Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
    http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
    >Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to cause
    >problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup folder.
    >
    > Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
    > short delay?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Donald S.

    I'll try Tech-Pro if I can't find a simpler solution.

    To better explain: My computer will start Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus
    first, usually. Then, under normal circumstances, I have at least 3 instant
    messaging programs try to start at the same time. Almost always there are
    connectivity issues which I assume are caused by Zonealarm and Norton trying
    to start and configure themselves. I want the instant messaging programs to
    be delayed a few seconds.

    I once used the auto-start features within the instant messaging programs
    but this causes them to start for every user. I don't want my 7 & 10 year
    olds toying with instant messaging when they log on their seperate accounts.
    Using the Startup folder is an easy way to control access to the programs
    although I may soon revert to "Doug's Windows XP Security Console" to solve
    this.

    Thanks again,

    Donald

    > Donald,
    >
    > Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and
    > delay for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a
    > Startup Manager that might help.
    >
    > Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
    > http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
    >>Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to
    >>cause problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup
    >>folder.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
    >> short delay?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >>
    >> Donald S.

    Freeware Startup Delayer does exactly what you want to do.

    "LSUfan71" wrote:

    > I'll try Tech-Pro if I can't find a simpler solution.
    >
    > To better explain: My computer will start Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus
    > first, usually. Then, under normal circumstances, I have at least 3 instant
    > messaging programs try to start at the same time. Almost always there are
    > connectivity issues which I assume are caused by Zonealarm and Norton trying
    > to start and configure themselves. I want the instant messaging programs to
    > be delayed a few seconds.
    >
    > I once used the auto-start features within the instant messaging programs
    > but this causes them to start for every user. I don't want my 7 & 10 year
    > olds toying with instant messaging when they log on their seperate accounts.
    > Using the Startup folder is an easy way to control access to the programs
    > although I may soon revert to "Doug's Windows XP Security Console" to solve
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Donald
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Donald,
    > >
    > > Don't understand the actual issue, but you can set the load order and
    > > delay for the startup programs using a VBscript. Alternately, here is a
    > > Startup Manager that might help.
    > >
    > > Tech-Pro Utilities Startup:
    > > http://www.tech-pro.net/startup.html#smgr
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "LSUfan71" <LSUfan71@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>I would like to delay a few Startup programs by about 10 or 15 seconds.
    > >>Zonealarm and Norton take a little while to get going and it seems to
    > >>cause problems with instant messaging programs I have in my Startup
    > >>folder.
    > >>
    > >> Is it possible to use the command line in the Startup shortcut to cause a
    > >> short delay?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help,
    > >>
    > >> Donald S.

    Thanks!