File Icons Missing In Windows Explorer!

I'm running XP Home on a Dell 2.6ghz Dimension 8300 with Norton
Systemworks 2005. A couple months ago I noticed that when in Windows
Explorer viewing files, the icons that used to be pictures are now a
generic icon. If I change view to Filmstrip or tiles, some of them
show, but not most. In Icon, List, or Details none of them show. Does anyone
have a suggestion?
--
An XP Novice!
9 answers Last reply

    When you say "some of them show, but not most", all of them are of same file
    type (example... .jpg) ? Anyway, try this command from Start-Run, under
    Administrator (or equiv) logon:

    regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP Home on a Dell 2.6ghz Dimension 8300 with Norton
    > Systemworks 2005. A couple months ago I noticed that when in Windows
    > Explorer viewing files, the icons that used to be pictures are now a
    > generic icon. If I change view to Filmstrip or tiles, some of them
    > show, but not most. In Icon, List, or Details none of them show. Does
    > anyone
    > have a suggestion?
    > --
    > An XP Novice!

    Ok .jpg or .ico do not show. Actually the icon that shows is a square with a
    blue and green graphic in it. It is too small and distorted to see what the
    graphic is, but it is the same on all of them. Now...if I change views to
    either Filmstrip or Tiles then I can see the picture of the icon. Too better
    explain this, it happens when viewing files that are Icons, but I used to be
    able to see the picture of the icon in any view. Now I can't. Most
    importantly when in the Icon view is where Icons used to show up and now they
    don't.
    --
    An XP Novice!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > When you say "some of them show, but not most", all of them are of same file
    > type (example... .jpg) ? Anyway, try this command from Start-Run, under
    > Administrator (or equiv) logon:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > I'm running XP Home on a Dell 2.6ghz Dimension 8300 with Norton
    > > Systemworks 2005. A couple months ago I noticed that when in Windows
    > > Explorer viewing files, the icons that used to be pictures are now a
    > > generic icon. If I change view to Filmstrip or tiles, some of them
    > > show, but not most. In Icon, List, or Details none of them show. Does
    > > anyone
    > > have a suggestion?
    > > --
    > > An XP Novice!

    regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

    --

    > Ok .jpg or .ico do not show. Actually the icon that shows is a square with
    > blue and green graphic in it. It is too small and distorted to see what
    > the
    > graphic is, but it is the same on all of them. Now...if I change views to
    > either Filmstrip or Tiles then I can see the picture of the icon. Too
    > better
    > explain this, it happens when viewing files that are Icons, but I used to
    > be
    > able to see the picture of the icon in any view. Now I can't. Most
    > importantly when in the Icon view is where Icons used to show up and now
    > they
    > don't.
    > --
    > An XP Novice!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> When you say "some of them show, but not most", all of them are of same
    >> file
    >> type (example... .jpg) ? Anyway, try this command from Start-Run, under
    >> Administrator (or equiv) logon:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >> > I'm running XP Home on a Dell 2.6ghz Dimension 8300 with Norton
    >> > Systemworks 2005. A couple months ago I noticed that when in Windows
    >> > Explorer viewing files, the icons that used to be pictures are now a
    >> > generic icon. If I change view to Filmstrip or tiles, some of them
    >> > show, but not most. In Icon, List, or Details none of them show. Does
    >> > anyone
    >> > have a suggestion?
    >> > --
    >> > An XP Novice!

    I really appreciate your help, but I have scanned your help site and tried
    the regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll with no luck. I have, however, found a better way
    to explain what my Windows XP is doing. If, for example, you want to change
    the pointer for your mouse (or other pointing device) you go to Start/Control
    Panel/Mouse/Pointers. Then if you click Browse, you get a list of pointers in
    the Windows/Cursors folder. The files ending in ".cur" DO NOT show. The files
    ending in ".ani" DO show.
    --
    An XP Novice!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > Ok .jpg or .ico do not show. Actually the icon that shows is a square with
    > > blue and green graphic in it. It is too small and distorted to see what
    > > the
    > > graphic is, but it is the same on all of them. Now...if I change views to
    > > either Filmstrip or Tiles then I can see the picture of the icon. Too
    > > better
    > > explain this, it happens when viewing files that are Icons, but I used to
    > > be
    > > able to see the picture of the icon in any view. Now I can't. Most
    > > importantly when in the Icon view is where Icons used to show up and now
    > > they
    > > don't.
    > > --
    > > An XP Novice!
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> When you say "some of them show, but not most", all of them are of same
    > >> file
    > >> type (example... .jpg) ? Anyway, try this command from Start-Run, under
    > >> Administrator (or equiv) logon:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

    Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    Navigate to this location:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR
    (note that there is DOT in front of the extension)
    In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set it's value to "curfile".

    Then, go to this location:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon
    In the right-pane, double-click (default) and type-in "%1" without Quotes.

    --

    >I really appreciate your help, but I have scanned your help site and tried
    > the regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll with no luck. I have, however, found a better
    > way
    > to explain what my Windows XP is doing. If, for example, you want to
    > change
    > the pointer for your mouse (or other pointing device) you go to
    > Start/Control
    > Panel/Mouse/Pointers. Then if you click Browse, you get a list of pointers
    > in
    > the Windows/Cursors folder. The files ending in ".cur" DO NOT show. The
    > files
    > ending in ".ani" DO show.
    > --
    > An XP Novice!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >> > Ok .jpg or .ico do not show. Actually the icon that shows is a square
    >> > with
    >> > blue and green graphic in it. It is too small and distorted to see what
    >> > the
    >> > graphic is, but it is the same on all of them. Now...if I change views
    >> > either Filmstrip or Tiles then I can see the picture of the icon. Too
    >> > better
    >> > explain this, it happens when viewing files that are Icons, but I used
    >> > be
    >> > able to see the picture of the icon in any view. Now I can't. Most
    >> > importantly when in the Icon view is where Icons used to show up and
    >> > now
    >> > they
    >> > don't.
    >> > --
    >> > An XP Novice!

    Thank You, Thank You! That fixex that problem. I still have one more. I have
    a folder in which I have downloaded icons for use with XP. The have an ".ico"
    extension. When I view them in Thumbnails or Tiles I can see the icon, but if
    I view them in Icons, List or Details, I do not see the icon. Any suggestion
    for that?
    --
    An XP Novice!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    > Navigate to this location:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR
    > (note that there is DOT in front of the extension)
    > In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set it's value to "curfile".
    >
    > Then, go to this location:
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon
    > In the right-pane, double-click (default) and type-in "%1" without Quotes.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > >I really appreciate your help, but I have scanned your help site and tried
    > > the regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll with no luck. I have, however, found a better
    > > way
    > > to explain what my Windows XP is doing. If, for example, you want to
    > > change
    > > the pointer for your mouse (or other pointing device) you go to
    > > Start/Control
    > > Panel/Mouse/Pointers. Then if you click Browse, you get a list of pointers
    > > in
    > > the Windows/Cursors folder. The files ending in ".cur" DO NOT show. The
    > > files
    > > ending in ".ani" DO show.
    > > --
    > > An XP Novice!
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

    Try the .ICO association fix from here:

    > Thank You, Thank You! That fixex that problem. I still have one more. I
    > have
    > a folder in which I have downloaded icons for use with XP. The have an
    > ".ico"
    > extension. When I view them in Thumbnails or Tiles I can see the icon, but
    > if
    > I view them in Icons, List or Details, I do not see the icon. Any
    > suggestion
    > for that?
    > --
    > An XP Novice!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    >> Navigate to this location:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR
    >> (note that there is DOT in front of the extension)
    >> In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set it's value to
    >> "curfile".
    >>
    >> Then, go to this location:
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon
    >> In the right-pane, double-click (default) and type-in "%1" without
    >> Quotes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >> >I really appreciate your help, but I have scanned your help site and
    >> >tried
    >> > the regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll with no luck. I have, however, found a
    >> > better
    >> > way
    >> > to explain what my Windows XP is doing. If, for example, you want to
    >> > change
    >> > the pointer for your mouse (or other pointing device) you go to
    >> > Start/Control
    >> > Panel/Mouse/Pointers. Then if you click Browse, you get a list of
    >> > pointers
    >> > in
    >> > the Windows/Cursors folder. The files ending in ".cur" DO NOT show. The
    >> > files
    >> > ending in ".ani" DO show.
    >> > --
    >> > An XP Novice!

    You did it! Thanks very much.
    --
    An XP Novice!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Try the .ICO association fix from here:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > Thank You, Thank You! That fixex that problem. I still have one more. I
    > > have
    > > a folder in which I have downloaded icons for use with XP. The have an
    > > ".ico"
    > > extension. When I view them in Thumbnails or Tiles I can see the icon, but
    > > if
    > > I view them in Icons, List or Details, I do not see the icon. Any
    > > suggestion
    > > for that?
    > > --
    > > An XP Novice!
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    > >> Navigate to this location:
    > >>
    > >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR
    > >> (note that there is DOT in front of the extension)
    > >> In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set it's value to
    > >> "curfile".
    > >>
    > >> Then, go to this location:
    > >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon
    > >> In the right-pane, double-click (default) and type-in "%1" without
    > >> Quotes.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

    You're welcome.

    --

    > You did it! Thanks very much.
    > --
    > An XP Novice!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Try the .ICO association fix from here:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "NOIC" <dskaff@buckeye-express.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >> > Thank You, Thank You! That fixex that problem. I still have one more. I
    >> > have
    >> > a folder in which I have downloaded icons for use with XP. The have an
    >> > ".ico"
    >> > extension. When I view them in Thumbnails or Tiles I can see the icon,
    >> > but
    >> > if
    >> > I view them in Icons, List or Details, I do not see the icon. Any
    >> > suggestion
    >> > for that?

Windows Explorer Windows XP Icons