Cant get Firefox work or virussoftwares to update?

Toni

Has anyone had similiar problems? Windows update works and even IE from
time to time, but none of my antivirus software isn't able to connect
and update virus definitions (Antivir or Avast). Every version of
Mozilla Firefox refuses to open web-pages. It gives me error something
like 'file is empty'.

This is HP pavilion and has XP home + sp2 and latest patches. This seems
to be some kind of network protocol problem but I cant figure out what.
I have tried to turn on/off sp2 firewall and I cant even install
ZoneAlarm firewall, cause this xp crashes on blue screen as soon as I
connect my ethernet cable and it does that on every boot as soon as XP
finds network. Uninstalling ZOneAlarm gets rid of this blue screen -problem.

I have tried to enable/disable different windows services but that
doesn't seem to help. I have also deleted winsock -keys from registry
and installed tcp/ip protocol again. I am pretty confused here and I
have fixed and cleaned dozens of window-machines, but cant figure out
this one.

Pc is scanned with antivirus softwares and different antispyware apps
-Nothing. Hijackthis cant find anything strange.

Try this http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip if it does not
work them try another nic.

"Toni" <valky@jokeri.POISTA.org> wrote in message
> Has anyone had similiar problems? Windows update works and even IE from
> time to time, but none of my antivirus software isn't able to connect and
> update virus definitions (Antivir or Avast). Every version of Mozilla
> Firefox refuses to open web-pages. It gives me error something like 'file
> is empty'.
>
> This is HP pavilion and has XP home + sp2 and latest patches. This seems
> to be some kind of network protocol problem but I cant figure out what.
> I have tried to turn on/off sp2 firewall and I cant even install ZoneAlarm
> firewall, cause this xp crashes on blue screen as soon as I connect my
> ethernet cable and it does that on every boot as soon as XP finds network.
> Uninstalling ZOneAlarm gets rid of this blue screen -problem.
>
> I have tried to enable/disable different windows services but that doesn't
> seem to help. I have also deleted winsock -keys from registry and
> installed tcp/ip protocol again. I am pretty confused here and I have
> fixed and cleaned dozens of window-machines, but cant figure out this one.
>
> Pc is scanned with antivirus softwares and different antispyware
> apps -Nothing. Hijackthis cant find anything strange.

Try fixing your clock.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Za8Fe.8143$nQ3.7518@reader1.news.jippii.net,
Toni <valky@jokeri.POISTA.org> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Try fixing your clock.

What? What does this has to do with my problem?