Recovery / restore CD

My pc came with the manufacturers "Windows Recovery CD" which allows me
to format and re-install XP from scratch.

Can this cd be used on another manufacturers machine to perform the same
task, or will it only work with the pc that it came with?

Friends of mine are having major problems with their XP machine and I
guess a format is the best way forward; they have their product key but
no windows cd. I know that my recovery cd just installs XP and nothing
else, therefore I can't see why it wouldn't work on another machine.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

BC

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1C8Fe.76858$G8.1564@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
bacillus cereus <bacillus.cereus@gmail.com> had this to say:

> My pc came with the manufacturers "Windows Recovery CD" which allows
> me to format and re-install XP from scratch.
>
> Can this cd be used on another manufacturers machine to perform the
> same task, or will it only work with the pc that it came with?
>
> Friends of mine are having major problems with their XP machine and I
> guess a format is the best way forward; they have their product key
> but no windows cd. I know that my recovery cd just installs XP and
> nothing else, therefore I can't see why it wouldn't work on another
> machine.
> Can anyone advise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> BC

In many cases the answer is no, that that CD is somehow locked to that PC be
it physically through coding or through EULA. If they still have their key
they were entitled to make a backup copy of the OS legally. If you made a
backup copy for them and then used it on their PC I don't *think* you'd be
in violation of the EULA. It's too touchy a subject and no one who really
really knows every says what's up with this. I guess you will have to follow
what you read into the EULA or you think is the right thing to do.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

No. A manufacturer's recovery CD is usually BIOS-locked
to the computer it shipped with. If you try to use it on a different
manufacturer's PC, it simply will not work since the BIOS is
different.

Tell your friend to get a replacement for his missing CD:

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bacillus cereus" wrote:

| My pc came with the manufacturers "Windows Recovery CD" which allows me
| to format and re-install XP from scratch.
|
| Can this cd be used on another manufacturers machine to perform the same
| task, or will it only work with the pc that it came with?
|
| Friends of mine are having major problems with their XP machine and I
| guess a format is the best way forward; they have their product key but
| no windows cd. I know that my recovery cd just installs XP and nothing
| else, therefore I can't see why it wouldn't work on another machine.
|
| Can anyone advise?
|
| Thanks,
|
| BC

Hi, BC.

In addition to the legal questions the others mentioned, there's the very
serious practical problem: Your WinXP has been customized to fit YOUR PC
hardware: motherboard, CPU, chipset, HD controller, probably graphics
chip.... What's chances your friend's PC has the same hardware
configuration?

In other words, you may give his Compaq PC the exact instructions for how to
boot in a Dell PC - and he'll be cussin' you 'cause his computer is broke -
and YOU broke it! :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA