Upgrading I8000: is cpu upgrade possible?

I forgot to ask this in my last posting; after a hall-way conversation,
I'll ask it now.

Is it possible to upgrade the cpu in an I8000 laptop? The current
processor in
mine is a PIII-800. I'm not sure if Dell has a proprietary cpu card or if
the
processor is actually soldered into the motherboard.

Thanks,
Bob
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrading i8000 upgrade possible

    Hi Bob,

    <Bob_Myers@raytheon.com> wrote
    >I forgot to ask this in my last posting; after a hall-way conversation,
    > I'll ask it now.
    >
    > Is it possible to upgrade the cpu in an I8000 laptop? The current
    > processor in
    > mine is a PIII-800. I'm not sure if Dell has a proprietary cpu card or if
    > the
    > processor is actually soldered into the motherboard.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I have an Inspiron 8000 1Ghz as well but I do not think upgrading the
    CPU is possible because of several reasons:

    - Much higher speed CPU requires different chipset (motherboard) e.g. you
    can not upgrade to 2.1Ghz with P3 because P3 is up to something like
    1.2Ghz or something alike. Hence paying a new CPU for increasing only
    few hundred Mhz is not really worth.

    - Higher speed of CPU may also requires different coolers,
    better/faster/more
    expensive ones, so is very unlikely you can take one CPU away put a
    faster one and everything works as before ...

    I was also facing the same problem as you, and my conclusion was, sell
    old and buy new one ... so I am selling mine right now. Anyway I have bought
    a real high end Workstation Precision 670 and don't use my Inspiron 8000
    anymore.

    HTH,
    Best Regards,
    Giovanni