Batch file command question.

I'm trying a copy command but I want the resulting file to be named today's
date. For example:

I have 6 .txt files in a folder C:\test

I want to combine all six files and rename the result with today's date in a
different location, say C:\import

My batch command would start:

copy C:\test\*.* C:\import\[date].txt

I need to know how to get that date to appear as the file name. I tried
that %~t1 thing and couldn't get anywhere with it.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Justin
1 answer Last reply

    Batch commands are a bit limited to do what you want, but scripting will do it easily, if you can get past the basics of scripting,
    and read a few examples of file manipulation.

    Learn to Script:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/learnit.mspx

    Basic Scripting:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/basic.mspx

    Text Files:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/textfiles.mspx

    How Can I Read Text From a File and Then Rename the File Using the Text I Just Read?:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/feb05/hey0223.mspx

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "jrozen" <jrozen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE80A52B-323C-4E99-89E0-FFA694606E92@microsoft.com...
    > I'm trying a copy command but I want the resulting file to be named today's
    > date. For example:
    >
    > I have 6 .txt files in a folder C:\test
    >
    > I want to combine all six files and rename the result with today's date in a
    > different location, say C:\import
    >
    > My batch command would start:
    >
    > copy C:\test\*.* C:\import\[date].txt
    >
    > I need to know how to get that date to appear as the file name. I tried
    > that %~t1 thing and couldn't get anywhere with it.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > --
    > Justin

Support Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP